Author Topic: yew stave split for 2 lighter weight bows for local youth group prize and raffle  (Read 2672 times)

Offline superdav95

Looking good Dave! I like it!

Thanks Arvin!   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
I always enjoy seeing your work, Dave.  I hope some kid appreciates how lucky they are to get one of these.  I'm working on a kid's bow right now, a juniper-sinew, and I know it's going to hurt to give it away.  Fortunately it's too short and light for me to shoot anyway, so that will help.  :)  I think a whitewood or bamboo bow would be a better gift for a kid, just because white woods are so much more durable than juniper or yew.

A thought about decorating:  I happen to know that many girls love Celtic knot work or elvish leafy stuff on the back of a bow.  Earth-tone acrylic markers (search on Amazon) are a great way to apply such designs.

For the contest, I like the idea of giving kids a ticket for each bullseye they hit.  Another idea:  There's an archery range at a camp we teach at every summer.  They just score each kid's best three shots.  If you want to just award it based on potential skill, that might be a simple way to go.

Thanks for those suggestions WB!  I like that idea of best three shots.  I am willing a a couple bamboo bows now as well in case I feel like this bow make be a little too much to maintain or appreciate.  The boo bows are pretty tough and resilient and easy to repair if needed.  I like the decoration idea too.  The scouts theme for the boys camp fleur de lis sympol.  I’ve been asked to do the YM camp also so double the bows!   Will be a busy summer but should be a blast.  I’ll take some pictures.

Cool.  Can't wait to see some pictures.  One of my goals is to reach a level of proficiency where I can donate bows to events like that.  I love to see kid's eyes light up.  It's kind of addictive.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour