Author Topic: All-sapwood Osage sapling trial  (Read 413 times)

Offline Wingit

All-sapwood Osage sapling trial
« on: April 25, 2024, 02:16:50 pm »
Hey all. About a month ago, I cut some small-diameter (2.5in) Osage from a friend's property near Sacramento. There wasn't much heartwood-- too little to make a bow from, so I decided to remove the bark and rough it out to near-final dimensions and coated it with shellac. Squared sides, full width, flexing 2in, etc etc you've all read that part of TBB. Anyways, the staves stopped losing weight about a week ago without warpage or a single drying crack! I'd imagine that the limited heartwood helped here, as the difference in drying rate between the sapwood and heartwood causes a lot of the checking we see.

My understanding is that the sapwood of Osage is comparable to the heartwood in tension, but I've no clue if the same remains true for compression. I've been told that the sapwood is less dense, as with yew, but I'm not sure by how much. I'll measure the SG of both and report back. I'm going to design the bow around the SG of the sapwood and treat it like a white wood; even if the compression strength of the sapwood is reduced, the high crown of the staves should help transfer the stresses more to tension. If this works out, I'll be super happy!

Offline Hamish

Re: All-sapwood Osage sapling trial
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 05:35:42 pm »
My first real bows were one's my dad made for my brother and me, when we were kids. Both were osage sapwood, from saplings. They shot really well, great cast, despite being made from green(cut in winter) wood.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get a really nice shooting bow from your experiment.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 12:49:50 am »
This is a bow I made a few years ago out of half of a 2" diameter osage pole. I sawed the pole in half, lengthwise then bound the 2 halves back together with spacers between to allow good air circulation.After the stave dried I removed the bark and built the bow. I added a rawhide backing for insurance. I think the bow pulled 45# to 50#@28" and was 66" to 68" t/t. I used the crown, sapwood side for the back...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 08:12:14 am »
Nice job Pat.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 10:20:20 am »
Awesome bow, Pat!

Wingit - Osage sapwood makes a fine bow, in my experiments. I've made a few that had a lot of sapwood. One was 65-70 pounds.

Not as rot resistant or as ding resistant. It doesn't take much osage to make a serious bow. There are a couple examples of mostly sapwood osage bows with 1" to 1.25" width in Jim Hamm's Encyclopedia. A narrower profile reduces the effects of the crown, but it can handle a crown.

Edit: Saplings usually have lots of pin knots, and it's important the outer sapwood ring isn't violated around them. You could always back it like Pat did.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 10:26:10 am by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows