Author Topic: Mookaite  (Read 460 times)

Offline RickB

Mookaite
« on: May 06, 2024, 08:20:44 pm »
Heat treated some mookaite jasper slabs, kept the high temp at 525 degrees - this is the first blade from the batch.
The base is the chalky cortex part which will go into a knife handle

Finished this knife today. Southern live oak handle, mahogany obsidian blade.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Mookaite
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 10:41:21 pm »
Very nice Rick.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 11:22:50 pm »
my eyes go googly over mookite, especially when it is properly treated to a good knapping like this!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 06:56:39 am »
Beautiful blades and great wood handle too
what's the binding made in?

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 09:17:58 pm »
Beautiful blades and great wood handle too
what's the binding made in?

The binding is waxed artificial sinew. It comes mostly flat on a spool. I twist the strand until it gets round then wrap. Worked on an oak handle for for the mookaite blade this afternoon and will haft it up tomorrow. Will post a photo then.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 08:20:09 pm by RickB »

Offline RickB

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 02:51:25 pm »
Hafted the mookaite blade to a piece of Southern live oak today.
Think I'll keep this colorful skinning knife around for awhile.
Progression photos

Slab

Preform

Blade

Finished knife

....and a flint ridge blade
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 08:17:24 pm by RickB »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 06:33:21 am »
A++  knives  :OK

Offline Piddler

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2024, 08:05:00 pm »
Outstanding looking work. I have to ask. How do you get those long narrow flake scars. Trying to learn to knapping myself and can use all the help I can get.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline RickB

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2024, 10:31:50 pm »
Outstanding looking work. I have to ask. How do you get those long narrow flake scars. Trying to learn to knapping myself and can use all the help I can get.
Piddler

Hope this helps...

These knives were worked from slabs which give you a continuous platform. I use an Ishi stick with a quarter inch copper tip to work the edge on my first pass. Position each flake on the first pass appx 1/4 inch apart. I use both of my legs to steady and lock my wrists into and use my right leg to help push the flake out. Make sure to position the tip of the Ishi stick almost straight into and very close to the edge but not too far into the slab. This will keep the force near the surface of the slab instead of taking a deeper and much shorter flake by sending the energy into the rock instead of across it. Push real hard into that slab and use that right leg to push it off.

Many people will go down an entire edge of a slab then try to join up the opposite edge next. I don't do this. when I take a flake off of the right edge, I will switch over to the left edge and then join it together. This is done because if I have a short flake or error on one edge, I can use more force on the opposite edge to reach it. I try to join and overlap them a little which helps give you a clean surface. Sometimes you will get a slight step where the flakes join but when you make the second and last pass they can be cleaned up. This lets me go through an entire side with very little if any flat spots on the surface that need to be cleaned up on the second pass. I do this on both sides of the slab.

Before the second pass all of the ridges produced need to be heavily abraded down to get you back to a continuous platform. I don't use an Ishi stick for this second pass unless there is an issue way into the slab that needs more force to reach it. I have a smaller pressure flaker and do exactly what I did above except this time the edge is more narrow so I position the tip of the flaker close but not past the center of the edge, dig in and push off a flake using my right leg. The second pass is narrower at about 1/8 inch or a little more apart. After all edges are done I start at the tip and work my way down both edges, feathering in and sharpening.

Tools used:
Notched hand pad (a notched pad lets the flakes travel longer)
Ishi stick
Pressure flaker
abrader
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 09:01:26 pm by RickB »

Offline Piddler

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2024, 08:01:10 pm »
Mr. Rick. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Us newer guys can use all the explaining and help we can get. Not as easy as people think for sure.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"