Main Discussion Area > Bows

Has anyone here made a deflex takedown sleeve?

(1/3) > >>

Aussie Yeoman:
Hi folks.

Exactly as the title says - curious if anyone here has made a takedown sleeve that has deflex built into it. As opposed to setting deflex into the billets.

Juri made and posted one on one of the other forums many years ago but he later reported it not performing as well as he'd hoped. Not that it couldn't be made to work...

Thanks!

Hamish:
H'mm. Sounds like a tricky task. Never seen or even heard of such a feat. What approach did Juri use?

Metal sleeve probably wouldn't work, unless it was cast.

Maybe a cut down 1 piece, with a fg wrapped take down handle?

Aussie Yeoman:
He had a square tube. From one side he cut out a gusset and then bent it to close up the gap.

I was thinking about a FG option too. Might try it. The other option is to heat up some tube/pipe in the forge and bend it with a suitable bit of bar in it so it doesn't collapse in the wrong ways.

Then last night I saw that someone else used a strip-style marine hinge on the back to good effect.

So it seems there are a few options.

Aussie Yeoman:
This is the one:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2189.msg28326.html#msg28326

Hamish:
Lovely looking bow, I can see why you'd like to try something similar.
My only worry with that method  would be the potential wear on the wooden end that gets repeatedly inserted, then taken apart. I imagine it would be not as harsh with a fg wrap handle( never heard it mentioned as a problem with fg wrap handles, but the metal sleeves always seem to have, inner sleeves to prevent wear).

If you can find tubing, where the next size down can telescope back into the main tube that might solve the problem. It depends on how the handle as a whole responds after bending, and whether you can easily get the pieces back apart.

Another idea, instead of bending the tube into deflex, you could saw through the tube, through the top, and sides but leaves the bottom side intact. Then you could bend it, and then weld the sides up.

Very interested in seeing what you come up with. I think I have met you at the  Wiseman's Ferry shoot back around 2007-10, we had a discussion about Native Australian bow woods, eucalypts and their tendency to sometimes chrysal even if the bow is perfectly made?If you are the same guy I remember you had excellent bowyering skills, blacksmithing/knifemaking skills and a sharp mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version