Main Discussion Area > Bows

Cutting and sealing hickory

(1/3) > >>

bentstick54:
If I cut some 6” to 10” hickory fully leafed out in June with temps in the 90 to 100 degree range and 50 to 90% humidity, and split into quarters and peel the bark the same or next day, do I need to seal the backs, or just the ends? I’ve never worked with hickory before.

bentstick54:
Or is there too much moisture in the sapwood to seal immediately?

Piddler:
Lots know more than me and may have better advice but if the bark comes off it needs to be sealed pretty quickly as well as ends and down the side for 3 or 4 inches.
Piddler

Hamish:

--- Quote from: bentstick54 on May 25, 2024, 05:36:50 pm ---If I cut some 6” to 10” hickory fully leafed out in June with temps in the 90 to 100 degree range and 50 to 90% humidity, and split into quarters and peel the bark the same or next day, do I need to seal the backs, or just the ends? I’ve never worked with hickory before.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely seal the back of hickory. It's one of the white woods that will check badly as it dries, especially if left as quarters from a large log.

superdav95:

--- Quote from: Hamish on May 25, 2024, 08:08:05 pm ---
--- Quote from: bentstick54 on May 25, 2024, 05:36:50 pm ---If I cut some 6” to 10” hickory fully leafed out in June with temps in the 90 to 100 degree range and 50 to 90% humidity, and split into quarters and peel the bark the same or next day, do I need to seal the backs, or just the ends? I’ve never worked with hickory before.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely seal the back of hickory. It's one of the white woods that will check badly as it dries, especially if left as quarters from a large log.

--- End quote ---

What hamish said.  I usually do 12-16 staves at a time and seal up end and back as soon as I slip the bark off.  Basically I cut split debark and seal all with in few hours. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version