Author Topic: Black Locust  (Read 5413 times)

DBernier

Re: Black Locust
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 12:15:08 pm »
A couple more photos. I had a defect in one of the limbs and glued in a patch. Worked fine and shoots great.

Dick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 07:03:30 pm »
Holy cow, I never knew you could patch a spot like that.  Good job.
Westminster, MD

Papa Matt

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 06:11:38 pm »
Yeah, Big country. Don't get me wrong--black locust is awesome. It just has it's certain demands like any wood. The way I do it is this--split out your stave, but leave the bark and everything on the back for a couple months. Then, take off the bark and decide if you are going to let the 'ol boy dry out slow somewhere like a barn, or if you want to try to hurry him up and move him to the house or something. But do not try to hurry him too much, even if you seal everything. Hickory, ash and some others you can push along but at least in my experience I have found BL will not like you for it. If you are going to bring him in the house, coat the ends, and back very well, ESPECIALLY if you are going to take off the sapwood at this point (after about the 2 months) and DON'T apply too much heat to him. Sit him under a bed or in closet, but I would not recommend above a stove or anything like that.