Author Topic: Blackthorn  (Read 12460 times)

Far East Archer

Re: Blackthorn
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 08:45:30 am »
Hallo Acker!  :) Good to know everything is alright!

ok, I got some pictures, but now that I have compared it with yours, it seems I have a totally different tree.  ;D

Here are some pictures, finally!  :P

The tree, maybe 3 meter tall.

Bark, the color is slightly different and I think this greenish color is sort of moss? Usually it looks more black.

Sorry, no real picture of fruit or flower as non were visible at the time. Here are some leaf pictures instead.

And here is the wood! Somewhat nice color to me.  :) It does not seem to have very visible growth rings and is very hard wood!

Any ideas what this tree is mates? I thought of a couple such as Euonymus and Rhamnus, but thats it. Very strange wood.... ???

Alex

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 10:08:54 am »
Hey Alex!

That tree of you reminds me ALOT to a one species we have here in Europe wich is "Rhamnus Alaternus". Very like that!!.. :) :) ;).

The wood is somewhat different thought. Mine is more like the Osage Orange has (Yellow/Orangish).

A comparative sequence of pics!:

The bark:

The leaves:

And the wood: (Somewhat different colour but not so much as I thought)....:D...

Thanks for the pics Alex!!
Hope this helps you!!

Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 03:09:59 am »

Isn't blackthorn the wood that the Irish walking sticks are made from ?  I don't know how to spell the name, Sheleliegh, or something like that.

Offline acker

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 04:19:13 pm »
Halo
Hey Far east Archer: thanks for the pictures , well its defently not blackthorn. I think Asiertxu is right with his opinion that it is a kind of "Rhamnus...etc"
Well , make a bow it  :D
Gruss Acker

Offline acker

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 07:09:54 pm »
Hm, we had very good wether here the last weeks...I hope the Blackthorn is almost dry enough to start to make a bow off it (I know, its defently not really dry enough yet..but I want to start...)
I gonna take a few pictures off it so you can see how it goes further.

Gruß acker