Author Topic: Barreled Arrows?  (Read 7575 times)

Offline jaybird

Barreled Arrows?
« on: June 22, 2008, 08:01:55 pm »
What do you guys think about barreled shafts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Barreled Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:21:47 am »
Barreled(tapered from the center out to each end) arrows are good for target shooting because you can keep the spine weight but reduce physical weight giving the arrow a flatter trajectory . For hunting arrows you want either parallel or a tapered arrow(either from nock to pile or the last 10" or so of the nock end).     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:27:31 am »
Because I cannot put 10 arrows in a 2 inch group at 20 yards, they don't seem to be an advantage to ME. On the whole, What Pat said is I believe is true. All things considered, a flatter shooting arrow "is a good thing". I tapper all my shafts, making the last 9 inch's of the nock end a slight tapper, usually 23/64 or 11/32 down to 5/16 dia. I would say try it on some matched shafts. If you shoot a better group, go for it. I will post a photo of my reworked tapper jig in "Arrows" and "Anything else" sections today or at least by tomorrow.

Dick

daniel

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:43:00 am »
If You barrel taper Your cedar shafts for other than "soft" target shooting they won't last long.
You can barrel taper footed shafts. I shoot two point purple heart footed barreled arrows and haven't had any breakage problems so far.
On top of faster arrow You'll get better penetration, because footing material is so much denser than cedar and You can trim it much more, maintening overall strenght.
I like 5/16 nock end, 11/32 mid section and smooth taper to about 9/32 at point end.