Author Topic: What sort of bow?  (Read 2923 times)

Bowbound

What sort of bow?
« on: June 14, 2008, 06:16:25 pm »
I want to buld a bow that is adaquate in all forms of shooting as in target and field and flight, hunting is not necessary as it is illegal in the Uk. I want a 28" draw and it is to be made out of european ash. What do y'all reckon will work best. The wood is ready to be laid out.

i have done a holmegaard already, it was quick sut i want something different. I was thinking perhaps a sudbury but what do you think.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: What sort of bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 07:07:17 pm »
I think you should let the stave dictate the design.
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:16:14 pm »
I don't know if I would go with the Sudbury ( Wampanoag ) Bow....they as with other Paddle Bow styles are not the fastest of all Bow Designs....I myself love them....but you get a little less speed and a little Hand Shock with them....it don't matter to me ....because you can ask anyone here....they are my Favorites!!  I would go for some thing with Static Recurved Tips and about 1 1/2" or a little narrower....fading to 3/8" to 1/2" Tips ....66" or longer.....but then George has a good point if this is a Stave...let the wood tell you what it wants to be....if it's a Board....go for it!! ......JMO.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Bowbound

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 03:42:21 am »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I think i will recurve the tips and make it around 65" with 2" wide limbs fading to 3/4".