Author Topic: spine tester calibration  (Read 5090 times)

Offline ken bee

spine tester calibration
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:09:24 am »
i built the homemade spine tester problem is my computer skills arent so hot i couldnt get the graphic exact so i settled for about .25 smaller i shoot 2117 pretty fair at 28"can you tell me what they spine i can probably figure it out from there      thanks  ken

Offline scattershot

Re: spine tester calibration
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 05:30:37 pm »
The 2117 spines 81#. Good luck!
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:52:08 pm »
Spining made easy-

Stand back as far as you can from the target (50-100 yards) and shoot the arrows at it. Arrows landing to the left (if you're right handed) are too stiff, to the right too light, and those that hit or land in front/around the target are suited. Farther out the more precise.

I made a spine tester, and tried desperately to gt it to work for me. It didn't. This does, and it's more fun :).

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:08:35 pm »
Kegan, that's probably one of the neatest things I've heard today.  It makes perfect sense.  Thanks for sharing that. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Phillip K

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 02:55:50 pm »
Good Idea Kegan, Your Talented With Logic And Bowyering.PK

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 04:57:46 pm »
Yeah! Thats if you have the time and money to finnish all those arrows. I think I will make a spine tester. I have budget and time limits these days!  :'(
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 08:26:27 pm »
Good Idea Kegan, Your Talented With Logic And Bowyering.PK

Thank you so much! Actually, I'm just talented in my relentless desire to learn more from everywhere and everyone I can. I just catalogue all I can :D! I'm a primitive archery sponge >:D!

D. Tiller- That's what I thought. But after you remove all those that have too poor grain and are much too limber, you wind up only culling a few- if that. And those that are spined wrong can be shot from a lighter/heavier bow later if the shoot right/left repsectively. It also lets you get the perfect-despite-what-it-should-be spine. I've got about 20# difference in spine and 50 grain difference. I can still clip dandelion stems or managed a 5" group with 4 arrows at 40 yards.