Author Topic: whistling arrows  (Read 10789 times)

Offline david w.

whistling arrows
« on: June 12, 2008, 03:22:18 pm »
is there  any way to make a whistling arrow/arrowhead?  Sort of like a signal arrow or something.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Papa Matt

Re: whistling arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 03:47:30 pm »
Brother, I don't know about whistling personally--but I have read that the English longbowmen used to cut the feathers with notches or something to produce a whistling effect, for the purpose of instilling fear in the enemy when they hear thousands of whistling arrows raining down on them from hundreds of yards away.

The only thing I have personally done that I can tell you about, I did by accident. I made me some practice arrows and come to find out did not really put the right kind of fletching on them. When I shoot them, they kind of sound like a flu flu and make a sound through the air like they are shooting flames. This is because I used softer wing feathers from the wild turkey and twisted them so they arrows would spiral. I did not use the hard primary wing feathers. Also, I left the feathers too high and didn't trim them down enough. Anyway, that's the only sound I've ever been able to produce from an arrow. I am pretty sure the article about whistling arrows said they had notches of some kind cut in the feathers. I will read on it and post again if I find the article.

-Ol Matt

Papa Matt

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 03:59:07 pm »
Brother, I think I was wrong about notching the feathers. I put "Whistling Arrows" in a yahoo search and have been reading that they used to drill holes in the arrowheads. Now that you've mentioned it, I think I will try one too.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:53:43 pm »
There is an online tutorial somewhere for making whistling arrowheads from ping-pong balls. If I get a chance later, I'll try to look it up. Kustom King archery sells whistling heads.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:55:51 pm »
i have had my feathers make kinda of a swoosh sound from being to fluffy but sounds like arrowheads with holes would do it
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:04:45 pm »
As Hillbilly said, pingpong balls are the easiest. Just mount it on a longer arrow, behind the point, and cut three triangular notches (pointing toward the tip I believe) on the front.

But I'm recalling from memory, so I might have missed something :P

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:09:08 pm »
thanks that pinpong ball sonds good. i have seen a picture of one before and it was shaped like a pingpong ball with holes in it so i am going to try it sometime
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 02:04:38 pm »
As Hillbilly said, pingpong balls are the easiest. Just mount it on a longer arrow, behind the point, and cut three triangular notches (pointing toward the tip I believe) on the front.

But I'm recalling from memory, so I might have missed something :P

Yep, Kegan, you got it. I've done one or two of those before, I should try it again. I saw it in an old PA mag.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 03:27:24 pm »
Easy, just put one of those miniature, electronic, noise-making gizmo's on the tip of the arrow.  You can probably get one that says "I'm comin' ta getcha!".

Oh, you mean a primitive whistling arrow?  The Chinese made quite a few back in the day.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 11:43:20 am »
We used to tape bottle rockets to the tips . That made a bit of noise , and pretty colors .  ;D

Or check out this old original arrow.

http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1050

Ralph
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:25:26 pm by welch2 »

Phillip K

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 04:01:57 am »
I made one from a fishing bobber, its posted with My newest Bone Stickerz