Author Topic: Did some Knapping while on the road.  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Did some Knapping while on the road.
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:10:16 am »
Well, not really, but while I was out of town over the past few weeks I worked on these at night.  I also knocked out this knife point preform.  I still have some finishing to do on the edge of the knife with the pressure flaker and Ishi. 

I gave the points to my boys that were in my Vacation Bible School Class this past week.  It really had nothing to do with the theme, but they were all good kids.  Time to make a few more and get them hafted for hunting. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Did some Knapping while on the road.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:08:11 am »
You've deffinantly got the bug Mike ;D. I have sat in the back of the truck @ hotel's - usually with a couple of student's (welders) wanting to learn. People walk by wondering what we're up to, some stay awhile to watch - but most hurried on by wanting to get some distance between themselves and the wild men ;D. Those are some nice lookin points, hopefull we can hook up again and do some rock breaking...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:47:40 am »
You bet Paul.  I'm looking forward to it.  By the way, this is the first time I've viewed the pictures since I posted them and I don't know why they're so small.   ???  The kids must have been monkey'ing with the camera again as I sure it has nothing to do with my abilities.   ;D   

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:50:50 am »
Mike, it's real easy to resize your pictures before ya post em here. Let's see if I can remember how I go about it without actually going through the process (my abilities are limited too ;D). Highlight the picture ya want to post, click "picture" in toolbar at top, click edit, then resize, then go to the right side and pic the size you want it to be. I believe that's 640x480 and click save changes - voila!! If I didn't miss a step in there somewhere ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Dingleberry

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 11:00:42 pm »
Nice Mike. :)  Keep up the good work.  All those hours in the rock pit at the Classic have payed off.  One of these days I hope to get some free time to practice.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:06:27 pm »
  Nice points Mike, Man everybody sitting around in the rock pit was fun. It would be great to do it with the same group all the time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 02:17:20 pm »
Thanks guys.  I think breaking rock has the same addictive properties as golf.  >:D  One good sounding "whack"  :o with satisfactory results makes you just keep going back for more, regardless of how bad the other attempts may be.  :-[

Mike

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 02:54:36 pm »
Nice chippin', Mike.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.