Author Topic: 52" Osage Static Recurve  (Read 11599 times)

Offline Scowler

Re: 52" Osage Static Recurve
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 10:54:41 am »
I love the artwork on the bow.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 11:01:24 am »
 Sweet bow Steve,  Looks like a deadly little brush bow that you could step right back into history with. Congratulations.   Keenan

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:02 pm »
Sweet bow. Very nice. Love the artwork. wish I could get my tips to flip like that without cracking. Excellent job. N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 12:26:16 pm »
Excellent work, Steve.  I want to try one like that.  I hope I can do as well as you did.

Dan

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 11:25:18 pm »
n2everything,

Its easy. You make a form out of a 2x6. Boil the tip (I boil for 1 hour for static tips) then support the belly with a metal strap and make one nice even bend. Lots of guys do it without a metal strap but i think its better safe then sorry espically with the static tip cause they are so thick. The other things is to make sure that you do not have a mess of groth ring violations on the belly....(yes belly)....be sure that the area you are bending is on one groth ring. This will make it harder for the wood to splinter. You should follow that rule on all heat bends. I do and never have a crack or splinter and I bend the wood when its real thick.

Next recurve I make i will take some pics. I am sorta bored of them after just making 2 in a row so it will be awhile.

SJM