Author Topic: wanna buy a kiln  (Read 5793 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
wanna buy a kiln
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:59:40 am »
 I am looking to buy a Kiln for cooking rocks, and man oh man i had no idea how many kilns are out there , pottery kilns , steal kilns , glass kilns.. what type of kiln do i need? how hot dose my kiln need to be to cook rock.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: wanna buy a kiln
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:57:17 pm »
fire pit!!! ;)   Way cheaper!  ;D  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 01:06:33 pm »
Pat i wanna heattreat allot of rock, there is buffalo river and dover chert here local and it all need heattreating and i would like to gather it and heat treat it. Lots of it  >:D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:17:19 pm »
Jesse, I have two of em sitting in my shop - wanna drive to TX? ;D.. I never did get around to wiring them up, their pottery kilns but there is supposed to be a way to install a rheostat on them so you can ramp the heat up and down slowly - I'm still cooking in the ground.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 02:50:20 pm »
No thanks Paul, i think the money I'd spend in gas would make it not so worth it.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:55:47 pm »
Ain't that the truth :-X. Well if all was to work out, I could haul one up for the next classic and you could have it..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »
 Jesse, pottery kilns work great. You just put a timer on the thermostat so the temperature ramps up the way you want it too. I se them in the paper on ocassion anywhere from $50 to 150.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 10:58:58 am »
Eddie's right.  I was tracking a couple on Craig's List for $100 but they got away from me.  I'm still planning on trying the Roaster Oven method and the fire pit too. This spring it was way to windy for fire.  Now that summer is here, the wind has left.   :-[

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 12:09:09 pm »
  I just use a little toaster oven. But I don't cook a lot at one time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline knapper42

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 12:12:46 am »
It depends on how much heat is required for the type of rock you want to cook.  If your rock only requires 500 to 550 then get a turkey roaster and don't bother with a kiln.
If you need a kiln then you will have to convert it using infinite switches to replace the switches that comes with the unit.  The coils need to equal about 15 or 16 omhs to heat at the proper rates.
Most guys convert their kiln from the usual 220 volts to 110 volts and replace the switches with Robershaw infinite switches. You can find those at appliance repair shops.
There use to be instructions on KRU but if you have a little electrical knowledge it is a fairly simple task. ::)
Jack

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:51:41 am »
but if you have a little electrical knowledge it is a fairly simple task.
Yea.. can you say Electrocuted!!!!, i cant change a light fixture with out getting juiced, i hate doing anything electrical.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »
I'm a big coward when it comes to electricity.  I usually turn off the power at the pole when changing a light bulb.   :'(  Not really, but I make sure it's all off before removing a plate of doing anything else.  If it involves much more than simply replacing a component, I call an electrician. 

Stay safe. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck