Author Topic: Bend in the handle bows?  (Read 9353 times)

Offline Apex Predator

Bend in the handle bows?
« on: June 21, 2008, 11:23:41 am »
I was thinking of building my next bow in the bend in the handle design.  Maybe 64" NTN and around 55@27.  Bamboo or hickory backed ipe of an inch or so in width.  Do these designs exhibit more hand shock?  Any suggestions? Thanks.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

radius

Re: Bend in the handle bows?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 11:34:19 am »
you'd think they might have more handshock, wouldn't you, with the handle sharing the work...i have built all stiff-handled bows, so i can't help you there, but i know what it's like when one breaks and you want to try something completely different...

that hill bow:  do you think it was the cypress wood or the depth of the limb that did it in?

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 11:49:40 am »
I'm pretty sure it was the cypress.  It was extremely light in weight.  More so than cedar. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 12:11:14 pm »
  Apex, a bend in the handle bow can have horrible handshock but doesn't neccessarily have to have any more than a stiff handled bow. Lately I have been really studying the handshock issues more from a performance angle. The vibration is pretty costly in performance. If you keep that bow proportionate, not too long say about 60" or so and a slightly elyptical tiller it may not have any shock. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 12:16:33 pm »
I have been quite surprised with the few Cherokee style bendy handled bows I have built that they have very little shock to them. No more than any of my bows. The Cherokee style has heavier limb tips than I usually make but shoot surprisingly smooth. With thinner tips(less mass weight) and a little kick in the tips you should have a sweet shooting little bendy handle bow.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline richpierce

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 12:17:42 pm »
I've only made about 10 bows but my bend in the handle bows don't exhibit much handshock if tillered well.

radius

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 12:18:33 pm »
also, people say that with less mass in the tips, handshock is reduced...but my holmegaard has no shock to it at all...it's all punch!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 04:12:06 pm »
I've grown fond of D bows because of the ease in construction. They don't have any more handshock than a stiff handled bow, and if it does for some reason, just glue a little leatehr onto the grip area before you attach the grip (rubber insoles work too).

Making them shorter (66" or less) or out of lighter wood eliminates this need though. That's why you could make a Native style bow with really wide, heavy tips, but at 56" long, it won't kick at all.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 06:47:41 am »
I thought the same thing about hand shock with bendy handle bows. I've only made one it was vine maple that was about 58" it has virtually no shock.  Actually less than some of my earlier stiff handle bows.  I think the key is in the tiller.  If tillered poorly it will be a shocker.
Traverse City, MI

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 09:55:31 am »
I think the more natural reflex the bow has, the more handshock.   Alot of the indian bows had string follow which I bet eliminated alot of that shock.
Westminster, MD

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 10:06:06 am »
Anyone have a photo of the tiller I should be striving for?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 11:25:43 am »
The tiller would depend on the profile of the bow. Basically you want a circular or slightly elliptical tiller.
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 11:35:40 am »
So far, my bows made from stiff wood (like ipe & hophornbeam) have less hand shock than my bows made from low stiffness wood (like juniper & elm).  I've made close to 50 bows now and 90% have bendy handles....and here seems to be a relationship between "vibration" and wood type (among other things).  Just my personal observation.

The ipe/bamboo combination is becoming extremely popular....it's a good choice for any type of bow.

There are some very good threads here on the causes of hand shock and TBB covers it pretty well too.  I'd read up on these before starting your bow.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 02:05:48 pm »
                                        This is the Tiller I shoot for in My Style of D Bow..........

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

330bull

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 08:49:30 pm »
Follow that pattern and you will be very, very happy.  That tiller is perfect!!!  Good luck!