Author Topic: Georgia Hog Hunt Pics  (Read 14014 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Georgia Hog Hunt Pics
« on: June 22, 2008, 02:14:41 pm »
OK, I'm back from lounging on the beach. Here are a few pics from The Great Redneck Hog Hunt.

Here's a few shots of the woods and country. Obviously, the woods are too thick to do more than crawl on your belly through in most places, so most of the hunting is spot-and-stalk in the food plots or bushhogged trails. The higher ground is a tangle of brush, dwarf palmetto, and briars. The lower ground is cypress-tupelo sloughs complete with Spanish moss, gators and other swamp critters.

There is all kinds of cool wildlife and birds on the place, wish I had taken my camera out with me more. There were loads of rabbits, deer, a few armadillos, turtles and gopher tortoises, flocks of ibis and waterfowl flying overhead. I enjoyed just being out in and seeing all the plants and animals of a totally different environment. The Deep-South lowcountry is awesome. Here is a swallow-tailed kite-a big, rare bird of prey that I haven't had a chance to see before. There were several of them patrolling the place.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Georgia Hog Hunt Pics
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 02:23:19 pm »
Ohyeah, there were lots of hogs there, too.  :) Most of them I saw were black, but there are also brown/red ones, red ones with black spots, dirty-tan colored ones, and blue-gray colored hogs.  They're easier to get in camera range of than bow range-I was a bit more accurate with the camera than I was with the stick and string.  ;D Here's a spotted hog and a big, black boar:

Here's what happens when the wind swirls while you're stalking a group of hogs and after a half-hour of crawling, you're suddenly looking at a stampede of fast-moving pig butts:

Here's some cute little fellers I found out in an oat patch-they're about the size of rabbits, and I snuck up to within a few feet downwind of them. I just needed me a fish net.......

Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 02:29:03 pm »
And here's what happens when everything goes right and you don't miss-so I've been told  ;D -

Here's why you don't want an arrow stuck between your eyes:

The End. :)

We had a great time and I'll fer sure be going back. I'll be practicing my long-range shooting a bit before then, though.  >:(  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 02:36:25 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 03:36:21 pm »
nice pics sir...some meat made too, i bet its some hard huntin in the south with the land and foliage the way it is.... ;)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 04:26:42 pm »
 Nice pictures Steve, I wish I took my camera with me more too. I love watching those Swallowtail kites, It was unusual for them to be that far north. The normal migration range from Brazil is Central Florida from what we learned from a biologist Charlie and I met one year doing a study on them. I started to grab those two little orphan pigs when Charlie and I saw them. But it was too hot to start all that running. David Tiller wants to go next year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 05:30:59 pm »
Hope I can make it! That looks like a lot of fun.  I tried going hunting with Chris (agbowyer) down in TX a couple years ago but things fell through at the last minute. (Sigh!)  Now if we could just find a place to hunt for free! Free is my favorite word!  ;)

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 05:58:30 pm »
Nice pictures Steve, I wish I took my camera with me more too. I love watching those Swallowtail kites, It was unusual for them to be that far north. The normal migration range from Brazil is Central Florida from what we learned from a biologist Charlie and I met one year doing a study on them. I started to grab those two little orphan pigs when Charlie and I saw them. But it was too hot to start all that running. David Tiller wants to go next year.
Hey uncle Eddie I wanna go too.
R.C.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 08:02:22 pm »
I'll have to say that this is the only time I have ever went on a hunting trip wearing shorts in 90 degree heat. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 08:08:58 pm »
Great pics Hillbilly! Thats my dream hunt, got deer and turkey everywhere here, but I wanna hog hunt...go figure. :D....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 08:16:27 pm »
Frrrreeeeeee!!! (The dream!)  ;D :P ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Ocmulgee Ogre

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 09:06:58 pm »
Great photos, Steve.  I especially like the Kite.

Eddie,
I've had about 6 pairs of Kites nesting on my place since I've owned it.  They seem to always show up around the Turkey opener and leave in August.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 10:33:24 pm »
So Hillbilly when we haven hog jowls ,beans and collared greens for dinner ,might just catch me a plane and show up
                                           Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 10:47:42 pm »
You'd better go to Chris or Eddie's to get the hog jowls. I can hook you up with barbecued dirt and boiled grass, since that's about all I managed to kill.   >:( ;D Tim, I enjoyed seeing the kites-they'll usually "talk" to you every time they fly over, too.  :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:52:34 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 01:27:05 am »
great pics, hillbilly.  sorry to hear about your hunting "success".  next time. don't make those arrows so pretty, so you won't be afraid to ruin them in a pig (i assume that's the real cause, you were subconsciously trying to protect your arrows  ;D ). 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 07:43:40 am »
Great pictures,looks like a good hunt,never thought about shooting them in the head,looks like it worked tho. ;D May have to try that on the next hog hunt.I didn't have much luck shooting at the lungs. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good