Author Topic: Should I walk away?? finished sadly!!  (Read 14402 times)

Offline adb

Re: Should I walk away??
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 11:43:22 am »
I wouldn't heat it and add any R/D or anything. Bad idea. You could end up with firewood. Call it done.

radius

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 11:56:22 am »
it's hard to say "finished" sometimes, isn't it...but if you scrape at it too much more, you'll end up with a lightweight

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 01:29:03 pm »
First let me say that I break/ruin a lot of bows because my philosophy is fix it till its broke;) I do agree that you could shoot it just as it is.  If you are happy with it by all means stop.  I do think you have a hinge on the left limb and both limbs need to bend a little more in the midlimb. I think 6 months down the road this bow is going to have quite a bit of set in the fades especially on the left.  I personally would get it bending a little more in the midlimb.  Then I would probably heat it and reflex it and maybe even pike it a little.  I wont guarantee I would have anything but a stick or maybe two left when done.  I do think it would teach you a lot while trying to do all this and to me the education is more important than the bow. 

Now some guys are going to say this philosophy is flawed because of the price of wood and unavailability of it to some guys and you might not be able to go cut more wood whenever you want.  I live in an area with less bow wood than anyone on this site and have to import all of my wood so save that argument for someone else.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 01:46:53 pm »
I'd say unique philosophy Justin, except that I more than occasionally find myself doing something similar.  Bow wood is not easy for me to come by either, but learning so the next bow may be better is part of the process.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 01:47:45 pm »
did you try taking pictures with the bow flipped on the tree ?

I agree with Justin on this one, a little fix and belly tempering and you migth end up with an heavyer bow you got now
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline lowell

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 08:46:17 pm »
Thanks for the comments all!!

This was an attempt mainly to learn more about bow building.  I'm thinking I'll try making the right limb( I had said left but reread this and changed!!)  bend just a little more at mid limb, shorten it just a little and add just a little reflex and try to get the shooting weight I like..... like I said this bow was a "learning bow"!! ;)

Best to you all, Lowell

NOMADIC ... I didn't have a picture of it on the tree flipped but may do that... the pictures seem to make me see things I don't see otherwise!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:30:12 am by lowell »
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 05:09:30 pm »
I agree with justin and your assessment of the tiller.
This looks like the sister bow to the one I just finished. Almost exact.
I ended up with a lighter bow than I planned as well cause that wiggle in the middle gave me fits as well.
I ended up piking and still was light by the time I thought the tiller was on.
If it is the only bow you got I would do as all others say and just go shoot her.
but......
I agree with what you are seeing regarding the hinge out of the fade on the left.
and stiff in the middle.

Luck getting her where you want it.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 05:56:18 pm »

very nice! great tiller job!!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 06:31:15 pm »
i aint no expert, but it looks great to me.
lets just shoot it

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 05:50:51 am »
my first impression was that the left limb needed a bit more work, but it doesnt seem to be taking any set in the inner limb. IMHO (which doesnt hold a candle to the other guys that already replied) id heat temper the limbs, take a fiew more scrapes on the left limb, and just event up the two. i had sumwhat the same problem with a hickory that was too weak in the inner limbs. from some good advice from Manny, i treated the inner 8" and retillered. i gained 10lbs and 1.5" of reflex in the process. so i would deffinately put my money on Manny with this one.  ;)

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 01:43:17 pm »
yeah, i actually just noticed that two. just a little. dont want to make that imaginary hinge a reality. :P
lets just shoot it

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 01:25:06 am »
Leave it alone! Let be! Walk away! It DONE!!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 08:30:38 pm »
yup. i just looked back again, and if you want to, as he said, "fix it till it's broke" id work on that left limb a little bit more. but be carefull.
lets just shoot it

Offline lowell

Re: Should I walk away?? finished bow..sadly
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 10:25:11 pm »
As bad as I didn't want to show what happened I feel obligated to fess up to my mistakes.

Wasn't too confident that this was ever going to be a bow but had a great time working it and learning what I could do and what I should not do!! ;)

I took a little more wood off to try to even the tiller a little and had wieght down to 37#.

I then piked it 1/2" at each end and put just a little reflex in it like I said I was going to.  Really liked the unstung profile but after pikeing and reflexing, the handle wasn't in the center soooo.... bent each end over a little and handle was right in the middle.

I shot it a few times and thought it was throwing the arrows nice for the lower wieght bow.  I put it on the scales and it was back to 42#.   But when on the scales at 42# @ 26 "  I heard " The POP"

Thought it was the staright limb but looking closer it was a crack right in the crook that ran length ways for about 2 inches.

It is all over, pictures show more and the hinge at the crack!!

Thanks all for your help even if I don't always do what is suggested.  On the wall in my shop is now the words of wisdom I got from this bow/thread..... "Perfection is the enemy of good"  and "Fix it to you break it"

Straighter stave picture shows my next attempt!!!! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Should I walk away?? finished sadly!!
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 10:32:22 pm »
I am sorry to hear that.   :'( When exactly did you heat treat it? You might not have waited long enough for the wood to rehydrate. That is a strange direction to crack.  Your next one will be much easier after all you learned here.  Good luck,  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah