Author Topic: What glue  (Read 3874 times)

Offline kayakfisher

What glue
« on: June 24, 2008, 07:39:34 pm »
Help I'm trying to make some semi primitive arrows out of river cane using turkey feathers sinew and wood knocks I used my Duco cement like I do on portorford cedar.And it just doesn't want to stick.Don't say hide glue I do not have any of it.
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What glue
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:09:16 pm »
Lightly sand the area to get the fletching. Use very fine sand paper.    You can also put a wrap at the rear of your fletching pull the forward end tight and put a wrap there. Sinew works fine for this.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:28:30 pm »
If you don't sand off the Waxy outer coating on the Cane....the Glue wont stick....sand it till the Shine is gone...clean it good...and then glue it down....and like Pat said...sinew works great...wet it  or chew it....and wrap em down...you don't need glue with the Sinew...but I always use Hide Glue....but if you don't have Hide Glue....go to the Supermarket and get some Knox Gelatin...and mix it up....work really well also
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:49:13 pm »
Superglue works good, as does contact cement if you want them to stay put and aren't worried about making historically accurate replicas. Like everybody else said, take some sandpaper and scuff the slick rind up a bit.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:15:34 pm »
Thanks guys I am going to give it a try I have lots of sandpaper
                                                                  Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:30 pm »
don't sand the rind of the intire shaft just were you wanna glue down the fletchings at.
Mililani Hawaii

Papa Matt

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 02:06:42 pm »
Titebond  wood glue works great, whether you sand or not. Thats what I use on all my arrows and it's largely waterproof. There is Titebond I, II, and III. They are all ideal, and do not set immediately like superglue. In fact, while the glue is wet, it is easily cleaned up or dissolved with water. $3.50 down at your local hardware.

-Matt

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 09:10:45 pm »
I'm not really into strict primitive ways. Have been using fletching tape. Works fantastic. Add a spot of glue on the front of the fletch &, it's done. As El Destructo said, try Knox gelatin. It's refined hide glue. Have used it to sinew back bows with no problems.

Butch
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman