Author Topic: Removing bark from elm  (Read 8574 times)

Len

Removing bark from elm
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:39:34 am »
Hi guys, was wondering if any of you have any tips for getting bark off elm. I cut and split some pieces and put them in the shed 5months ago and now find its damned hard to get the bark off. I'm guessing I should have done it when it was green.

Offline bambule

Re: Removing bark from elm
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 07:11:57 am »
Yeah, you're right - it's much more easier to debark when the wood is green. I always debark white wood directly after cutting. Now it's a hard way to make the staves clean  ;D.
But you will love the staves because of the more work you put in... O:)

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 07:20:38 am »
5 months ago it would have been tough....when the Sap is down they are harder to remove Bark...but once Dry....it is really tough....you might try to soak it in Water for a Day...I have done this with good results....or just get to scraping...it don't take that long!!!!!!!!! ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:07:33 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 09:39:54 am »
Soaking dry staves in water seems counter productive to me, as hard as it is to get them dry to begin with. Winter cut wood can be a beeotch to get the bark off of, but it's not that bad. Some careful work with a drawknife (bevel down) and scraper will get it off without too much trouble.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:42:42 am »
i just start scraping, it may seem like its goin slow but once you get started you'll forget about how long it takes, it goes by quick enough.   i use a draw knife for the majority and then use the draw knife as a scraper once i get close to wood.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 10:12:05 am »
Soaking it for a Day wont get the Wood wet enough to notice...just softens the Bark....but I would just use a Dull Drawknife and a Scraper myself as stated in my first reply.the Stave that I did soak.was a Red Elm....and the Bark slip right off after soaking it....and the Wood still rang when thumped on the Garage floor....didn't have any ill effects on it at all...just another way to skin a dead cat..don't need to do it
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

escanabajosh

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 12:31:04 pm »
try a presure washer......i dont' know how well it will work on elm but i know cedar it flys right off. if ya get a bigger one it might work.....i know a guy who sprays off burls and it cleans em right up and rips all the bark off.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 12:34:52 pm »
If the wood was cut during the dormant season the bark will be difficult to remove. If cut during the growing season it should come off easier whether it is green or dry.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 03:05:59 pm »
i know from experience,5 yrs on the local parks forestry crew. if the tree was cut in the summer,and left untill winter with the bark on. when the wood is frozen you can take a hatchet and nock just about all off it off in one well placed whack.

we cut elms down to prevent the spread of dutch elm disease and used the wood in the winter for the warming houses at the ice rinks. city ordinance made us peel all the elm bark off for some reason. but it does come off real well when the wood is frozen.

so just send it to me and by the end of next winter the bark will be off ;D

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Len

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 06:58:37 pm »
Thanks heaps guys, I should have added that 5 months ago it was  summer here in Australia. Looks like there isn't some magical trick to make it quick and easy so I'll just get scrappin :)

radius

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 07:25:14 pm »
Australia?  Hey, do you know the town called Waga Waga?

Len

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 08:11:24 am »
Hey radius, I know of Wagga Wagga but have never been there, its a fair way off from where I live ( southern Victoria ) probabaly 8-10 hrs drive away.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 10:44:49 am »
Len .....have you ever been to Walcha, New South Wales??? I got a Mate that lives ther.....name Grahame Bray....I made Bow's for Him and his two Sons Izaiha and Ethan ......they are really good People...

2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 01:49:44 pm »
I met an australian when i was in hong kong last year, and he told me about this singer whose song goes:

"You don't call Wagga Wagga Wagga.  You call Wagga Wagga Wagga Wagga."

I guess the locals would abbreviate the  name or something.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 04:28:45 pm »
Something I have used with some rather interesting success on winter cut VM is a big long screwdriver.  I start with a dull heavy scraper to get most of the bark off before getting close to the wood.  Once the bulk of the bark is off, I'll holding both ends of the screwdriver, one on the handle the other out near the tip.  I press downward while I rub back and forth over the bark/cambium.  After a bit of time the cambium thats seemingly stuck hard to the wood starts to lift.  I've not had any problems with this violating the back either.  Once you get the hang of it, you'll find how best to do it without harming the wood.  I usually start on the belly side of the stave just for practice.

Give it a shot, let me know if its just me or it its a fluke. :)  certainly works for VM tho.

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me