Author Topic: T-rex bow?  (Read 14346 times)

Offline Dane

Re: T-rex bow?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 08:11:29 pm »
Poison would take too long...you'd be dead and eaten before it can take affect. Remember what T Rex's teeth are like. I've seen an actual T Rex skull and foot in a museum years back...terrifying looking. Probably scarier than the movie.

Likewise, elephants don't eat hunters, and don't run 50 miles an hour as the chase you down. Come to think of it, T-Rex never had to contend with human hunters at all. Would you bet you could beat him with a hand held bow?
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 08:28:38 pm »
Dane, I would take that bet. I think I could kill him with a 40# bow.  It doesn't really matter how thick the skin is if you shoot the eyeballs.  A blind T-Rex is a dead T-Rex.
Also I think one of the most primitive weapons I can think of would be the most usefull.  Why not a pike? If he was comming at a run it would be the perfect weapon.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 08:51:26 pm »
Likewise, elephants don't eat hunters, and don't run 50 miles an hour as the chase you down.

They dont eat hunters, but I have read that they are fast and will chase you down.  The last I read was something like Africans saying that they dont act likey prey, but rather enemies, what ever that means.

Probably smarter than TR.

JS, said pike, that is what I was trying to get at before, just it would have to be massive so it would not snap like a twig, not something you held.

JS, I'm not so sure a blind TR would be a dead one.  It might have been half blind anway, and the movies say that its nose was beyond compare.  It might have had smelli-visions.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline david w.

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »
ABS OF STEEL ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

jape

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 09:34:09 pm »
Just had a thought  >:D;- if we are being consistent to the time, apart from having humans around, then there were no trees, just the odd cycad, fern or palm! Shouldn't have dissed Rudderbow's palm-bow thread so quickly ....

One of the things about humans is that in a group when being co-operative they can usually work well together, especially when it comes to creating grief or mischief for others. I think probably staked pits would have done it and also the seeking and stealing of dino eggs would have dropped the T-Rex population, we are very good at extinguishing other species.

However, many young chaps wandering the liminal alone or in peer groups would have come across the odd T-Rex and had to take a shot or two to divert or defend. Any big bow with heavy, sharp obsidian break off points would give some chance of running like f. and escaping. I doubt that T- Rex could keep up a sprint for long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 08:25:33 am »
Okay, I just did some quick reading on the T rex, which means tyrant lizard. One theory is the eyesight of the rex may have been about the same as today's hawks, so shooting out his eyes may be a good idea. Of course, the size is pretty impressive, so you had better practice shooting up into the air at very tiny targets. Sue, the largest one found, was 42 feet long and 13 feet tall at the hips. No one is sure how fast they could run, but estimates are from 12 mph to 45 mph, which is way too fast for me. If they could continue that pace, they would simply tire you out. If it was pissed off, like maybe having an arrow sticking out of it's chest, it may run even faster.

Justin, would you really want to stand there and skewer one with a pike? Sue weighed about 6.8 metric tons. That is a lot of dino coming at you and impaling it self on your pike and then continuing to run over you. Heck, even King Kong had his hands full with that rex he battled :)

Maybe we should just stick to hunting Velociraptors, if you are crazy enough to book a trip with Pete's Budget Temporal Dino Hunting Guided Tours: A Dino Guaranteed, or your Money Back." I just read they were actually smaller than the movie showed them, about the size of a turkey, but of course, with that mean little claw, nothing to sneer at. Imagine how much fun nock overlays would be made out of velociraptor claws.

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 04:05:37 pm »
just read ben lilly's bio..... sounds like i should have been there with him the whole time..... one thing i would change though.... i would use a bow.  he is truly an icon to us all
death by natural causes

Offline Kegan

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 07:12:35 pm »
Dane- Hmm. If you're correct about their vision, then you would probably be able to do alot of damge to them if you got the eyes out first- and you probabaly wouldn't have to go very far over 100# to do it. Once it's blinded though, where would you shoot it to start getting it bleed out????

That would be one long pike. How about this- find a downed tree that stiff hanging or leanign over, use a chainsaw to sharpen it to a point, and then have the big ol' brute  run onto that :D?

I'd be more afraid of them then Rex- no matter how small they are. A bunch of nastey little savengers screaming and running around you. Didn't they take on bigger herbivores? I think you'd be a snack by comparison :-X. Hmm. But an 85# bow could probabaly shoot through one and hit anoher one behind it... :D!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 10:00:52 pm »
I could be wrong since I have never actually had my eye poked out, but I suspect a T-Rex would probably go into sensory overload and be his own worst enemy at that point.  If a bow or spear can penetrate an elephant that stands up to a rhino horn why cant a spear or arrow penetrate a T-Rex?

The pike would only need to be 15' long.  The head would actually set down lower than the hip if he was running. Much less if he were trying to eat a 6' human.  Slide it under the jaw and into the jugular. The momentum of the beast would do the work.  He can hardly get closer without driving the pike farther into the neck. Beside I watched the old movies from the 60s and I saw a caveman kill a T-Rex with a pike so I know it works.  ;D ;D ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 11:07:55 pm »
Justin, a pike is a pretty big, tough fish, but I don't think I'd want to wade in on a PO'd dinosaur with one.  ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2008, 11:55:06 pm »
Oh come on Steve, a 15 footer ought to be a match for Dino.   ;D

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 12:00:22 am »
Y'all crack me up ! ;D A T-Rex huh ? Funny, he er she was probably BADDER than the" Boogey Man !" By the way anybody wanna try crocs in the tidal swamps.... salt water crocs that is ! ;D ;D ;D

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2008, 12:04:34 am »
Beside I watched the old movies from the 60s and I saw a caveman kill a T-Rex with a pike so I know it works.  ;D ;D ;D Justin

Im convinced. Especially if R. Welch stands by to praise.  http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/inmates-make-hollywood-prison-break/2007/12/18/1197740241757.html
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 01:34:05 am »
By the way anybody wanna try crocs in the tidal swamps.... salt water crocs that is ! ;D ;D ;D
As a matter of fact I do.  ;D How about a heavy bow and a spear for backup.  8) When does season start?  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2008, 11:04:37 am »
When does season start?  Justin

Probably after they get off the top of the endangered species list.  ;D I was reading in the paper while we were in Charleston, SC a few days ago that one was recently found living in the surf near there, way north of their usual range.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.