Author Topic: Points for kids  (Read 7302 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Points for kids
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 07:08:28 am »
PK small is easy heck I can make little bitty ones no problem.

Rick we were at Cowell Lake up on M-94, and I forgot the hand drill and hearth board ya sent me :-[ The boys would have
had a blast trying to make a fire, it was so wet I didn't bother looking for materials to make one. I did make some char cloth though.

I'm starting to get a bit of a clue for what I'm doing. I've been practicing on thunderchert and
that stuff is tough to knap, it breaks unpredictably. Still having trouble geting them thin.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:14:36 am by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 02:31:59 pm »
Keep at it Dana.  Each one I make, I'm able to get it just a little thinner than the previous one.  The thing I like some much about knapping is you can litterally do it anywhere (anywhere you don't mind making a mess that is), and with very little overhead.  That's how I first started using a hammer stone.  Find some rocks and practice.  Johnstone is good to practice on too.  When I finally switched to a piece of premium heat treated Naviculite, it was so much easier and forgiving. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:38:55 pm »
Dana- keep an eye out for some mullien while you're out roaming.  It makes awesome hand drills.
Traverse City, MI