Author Topic: How do you fletch your arrows?  (Read 12977 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: How do you fletch your arrows?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 03:40:06 pm »
Quickest method, and best to keep fethers on for me, has been the tie-on (the one Art is refering to).

Take three fethers, and a 5' long piece of thread with a slip knot on one end. SLip the knot over the tab of the cock feather, wrap around it again, and place the other two on with two wraps each. Once all are wrapped, wrap up to the selfnock, and then back down to the feathers- there is space between my wrappings of thread.

Once you get back to the feahtes, pull it under a prefious lop so none of it will come loose, then bring the thread down throuwhg the bristles toward the front- three or four revelutions should do it. Once you get the front, loosely wrap around all three and slip it back under a previuous loop again. Now pull all the feathers straight and tight, then twist them all at the same time to give it some helical. Tightly wrap the front. Apply pitch to the thread and glue along the quills.

Total time: about 5 minutes.

I really like it, except having to wati for the glue to set (I don't have anywhere to place them except leaning against the wall).

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 09:02:10 am »
I'm lightly sanding the shaft where the feathers will go. Then I'm removing about 1/8" of the feather from the quill on each end. Gluing the feathers on with a fletcher, then wrapping the ends with sinew. Not that primitive, but I like the results for hunting purposes.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 12:01:20 pm »
Pat, that did it. They fly great now, and I've got three hunting arrows fixed up for this fall with the two fletch on them. Thanks. :)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.