Author Topic: data on the Mary Rose bows/arrows  (Read 101927 times)

Offline bow-toxo

Re: data on the Mary Rose bows/arrows
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2008, 03:20:26 pm »
Hello BT
Could you post some images of your bows please?  I'd love to see them made to these shorter lengths, the most I've dared to do was 140lbs /75" ntn with a 32" draw out of English yew.  The stave was no longer so it was not a matter of choice.

I do have a few photos but lack the computer savvy to  post them. If you would post them, I will send some as attachments to an email. I can send one of my unsuccessful atttempt to draw my replica yew MR bow thirty four years ago. More up to date pictures that will appear in 'Primitive Archery' magazine in my article on Viking archery are not now available due to contract restrictions.

Erik

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2008, 07:31:39 pm »
I do have a few photos but lack the computer savvy to  post them. If you would post them, I will send some as attachments to an email. I can send one of my unsuccessful atttempt to draw my replica yew MR bow thirty four years ago. More up to date pictures that will appear in 'Primitive Archery' magazine in my article on Viking archery are not now available due to contract restrictions.
Erik

No problem, PM sent.

stevesjem

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2008, 07:45:52 pm »
[quote author=stevesjem link=topic=8078.msg139869#msg139869 date=122661579

5'11"is only 71", this is quite short and if it exists, then it is one of the shortest MR bows in the collection, being this short I would not want to draw a bow of this length to 30", let alone 36", I have just made a copy of a MR bow for a customer and he asked for a 35" draw length, so this bow was made 82" long, that is 11" longer than the length you have quoted. The original was one of the average length bows and that is 75" long.
Steve

SirJohn Smythe tells us that war bows [such as the MR bows} were made longer than the normal longbows so that they "did but seldom break". I make up all my personal bows and arrows by the normal mediaeval measurements which specify an arrow the same length as the longer MR arrows but a shorter bow as was used for hunting and shooting at a mark.

Erik

[/quote]

Hi Erik
Regardless of what Sir John Smythe says the fact of the matter is that the majority of the MR bows were 75-78" long and the majority of the arrows were 30", the longest of the arrows were 32". This I know as fact coz I have measured them.

What are "NORMAL MEDIEVAL MEASUREMENTS"? and where are they, Self Yew bows do not and cannot have a specific set of NORMAL measurements by their very nature, every stave is different and as such must be treated in its own way.

Steve

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2008, 06:02:39 pm »
Images and text posted on behalf of Bowtoxo...

Here is my unsuccessful attempt to properly draw what may be the first MR bow replica that I  made thirty four years ago, before the ship was raised. The smallbow is made to the specifications given in 'Livre de Chasse' .The small archer in the other picture is now 34 years old. In today's pictures I am not yet at full draw with round compasse yew bow and three matching arrows for my personal length as advised in mediaeval instructions and with Tudor shooting glove and bracer, horn sidenocks, loop in silk string. I apologize for the photo quality.

Offline heavybow

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 03:57:43 am »
Very nice picture bowtoxo. 34 years ago :)

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 12:02:34 am »

Hi Erik
Regardless of what Sir John Smythe says the fact of the matter is that the majority of the MR bows were 75-78" long and the majority of the arrows were 30", the longest of the arrows were 32". This I know as fact coz I have measured them.

What are "NORMAL MEDIEVAL MEASUREMENTS"? and where are they, Self Yew bows do not and cannot have a specific set of NORMAL measurements by their very nature, every stave is different and as such must be treated in its own way.

Steve
Smythe did not dispute the lengths of MR bows and I haven't done so either. He gave the reason for their length.

Normal measurements both before and after the Hundred Years War specified arrows of ten fists length [the archer's own fists] from base of nock to shoulder of the head. For me thet is 31 1/2 inches, like the longer MR arrows. The bow was to be twice arrow length plus one fist for a short lived flight bow,or plus two fists for a longbow for hunting or mark shooting,which gives me a bow of 5' 11" between nocks. These specifications are in the 'Book of Roi Modus' and again in 'Lartcarcherie'. An act of Edward IV required Englishmen in Ireland to provide themselves with bows of their own height plus a fist. I still get 5' 11".

I have made bows to this measurement of yew, osage orange, elm, hickory and lemonwood. All have been problem free except for the lemonwood which broke when someone else tried to draw it. I can't imagine why anyone, given a decent stave to start with, would have a problem with these measurements.

If you can get over your book phobia, you could learn lots of useful information from people you have no opportunity to talk to.

Erik

Hartung

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2008, 03:39:28 am »
Smythe did not dispute the lengths of MR bows and I haven't done so either. He gave the reason for their length.

I’ve noticed that one too… :-) Kind of disputing or arguing against something that has not been said.

Else, I’d like to thank you for the excellent and very useful information.

stevesjem

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2008, 07:49:13 am »

Hi Erik

Steve

Normal measurements both before and after the Hundred Years War specified arrows of ten fists length [the archer's own fists] from base of nock to shoulder of the head. For me thet is 31 1/2 inches, like the longer MR arrows. The bow was to be twice arrow length plus one fist for a short lived flight bow,or plus two fists for a longbow for hunting or mark shooting,which gives me a bow of 5' 11" between nocks. These specifications are in the 'Book of Roi Modus' and again in 'Lartcarcherie'. An act of Edward IV required Englishmen in Ireland to provide themselves with bows of their own height plus a fist. I still get 5' 11".

I have made bows to this measurement of yew, osage orange, elm, hickory and lemonwood. All have been problem free except for the lemonwood which broke when someone else tried to draw it. I can't imagine why anyone, given a decent stave to start with, would have a problem with these measurements.

If you can get over your book phobia, you could learn lots of useful information from people you have no opportunity to talk to.

Erik

Hi Erik

I do not have a book phobia it's just that very few books give accurate information on the bows of the period.

Lets look at your information with regards to a 75" MR(This is one of the shortest bows on the MR) bow and see what we get.

If the arrow length is supposed to be 10 fists  length and the bow 2 Arrow lengths + 1 fist (=21Fists) then using the equation of Bow length = 21 Fists:

75" MR bow (This is one of the shortest bows) is 75 divided by 21 = 3.57". So 1 fist is 3.57".
So Arrow length must be 10 x fists size which is 10 x 3.57 = 35.7", There are NO arrows over 32" on the MR.

So lets look at it another way, nearly all of the arrows on the MR are 30" from Nock to Shoulder.

So using your equation, the archers fist would be no more than 3" wide, (This is a Childs fist size, not a seasoned archers).

So Archers fist is 3"
Arrow length is 10 x fist size = 30" (Correct length of MR Arrows)
Bow length is 2 Arrow lengths + 1 x fist (2 x 30" + 3") = 63".

The vast majority of bows on the MR are 75" or more, this is a whole 12" longer than your equation allows.

THIS IS WHY I TAKE VERY LITTLE NOTICE OF WHAT'S WRITTEN IN BOOKS!

I applaud the fact that you have made bows of 5'11" between the nocks, however as a 71" bow has no baring on the actual MR bows, I have no interest in making one of this length.

Steve

Offline bcbull

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2008, 12:42:53 pm »
hey  steve   in premtive archer the other sday  im seeing a new book  called  the "english war bow "  aurthor timothy may  from horsefeathers  im wondering if ya have read it yet and if there is any  info to help with this ??   reason im askin is a lot of guys say most of these books have no ifo for that stuff  just thought id ask befor i buy it thanks brock

stevesjem

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2008, 01:28:39 pm »
Hi Brock

The only book I can see by Timothy May is "The Mongol Art of War"

So I'm not sure what book you are looking at.

Sorry

steve

Offline bcbull

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2008, 02:14:49 pm »
 steve  this is in the new premitive archer mag  page29   the full name is sectrats of the english war bow   hope that help haha   brock

Offline adb

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2008, 02:20:32 pm »
Yes, I think he is referring to Hugh Soar's book "Secrets of the English Warbow." I'm sure that you've read this book Steve.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2008, 04:35:43 pm »
 yep  i just double checked  thats the one  you guys know if it s any good ?  if it dont have any data  i aint gettin it  i want some stuff with some measurments and what not in it haha but like everyone s been saying  most have very lil or no ifo  there  thanks  brock

Offline outcaste

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2008, 05:21:44 pm »
Hi,

My arrow length should be 35 inches!

Alistair

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2008, 06:18:48 pm »
I think I will stick with 30" draw length for warbows. Takes it to the ear instead of to the corner of the mouth for my 27" draw.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill