Author Topic: White Ash  (Read 2469 times)

Offline kayakfisher

White Ash
« on: July 27, 2008, 02:06:51 am »
My next project wanting to do a ash plains style,sinewed backed bow, never worked ash before peel the bark or go to growth ring ?
                                             Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: White Ash
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 02:46:03 am »
The plains style bows I've made with ash (two) were made from boards....and since they were backed I wasn't too concerned about the grain.  They turned out OK but the ash I was using seemed weak in compression and most of the handle reflex pulled out during the tillering.......it may have been the humid weather.  The ash also seemed to be quite a bit less flexible than the juniper and elm I was using (for other plains bows) during the same time period.

As far as staves....I think the bark can be peeled off and you're done.  I had a large piece of ash (18" diameter) but I was only 43" long so I didn't make any bows out of it....but the bark came off easily.

It's been said that ash and sinew is a good combination but, in my experience, juniper or mulberry seem to be better choices for sinew backing.  Soon, I will try backing a mesquite bow (that is shaped and drying) and, so far, seems like a good choice for sinew backing as well. ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:52:19 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:21:04 pm »
peel 'em and go. no ring chasing. ;D - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:50:58 am »
Yep, use ash just like hickory or any other whitewood, just peel the bark. Seems like ash was one of the most common woods for those old plains bows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.