Author Topic: Cane arrow makers?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Cane arrow makers?
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:05:06 am »
I have been looking around everywhere I go at cane/bamboo arrow that people are making.  I happened to see some made at ETAR that was just remarkable. Just out of curiosity, what would you have to charge to make a dozen arrows that 1. Was within 5 lbs of each other gauranteed in spine. 2. Was within 10-25 grains of each other per doz. 3. Was as straight as any POC that you have found.  I know this covers a wide, near unpossible range for most makers, but if you could do this...what would you have to get for a doz?  And I would also love to see an arrow made by anyone wishing to show them to get even more ideas for my self.

Offline donnieonetrack

Re: Cane arrow makers?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:30:24 am »
ss, I've been making cane arrows for around 10 years.  Your first 2 items are pretty easy to meet.  I have made cane arrows that were as straight as any cedar but due to the nodes it's not easy.  I used to charge $12 per arrow until I realized I was making them for $5 per hour.  I now charge $20 per arrow and would need to charge more for arrows as straight as you want.  In reality cane arrows don't need to be perfect to fly perfect.  The top women shooters in Florida shoot and win most of the time with my arrows and they are not perfect.

If your cane is thick walled and you remove the "skin" you can get them really straight.  But I like the arrows with skin better.

good luck with your quest,

Donnie
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:40:31 am »
SS, Figuring that each arrow can take as long as 3 to 5 hours(possibly more) of working time from harvest to completion, and the cumulative time could be as much as a few months, what would you charge to make them?  The neat thing about making primitive arrows is you realize they don't have to be perfect to fly well. This allows you to step back from modern archery thinking and put yourself in the place of the primitives that made things to work well but not necessarily look perfect. Beauty is only skin deep!  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:29:22 am »
Well put guys.  I am just in awe of some work that I have seen, and trying to get a feel of what the worth of these would be.  I have some like Pat said, that are not lookers by any means, but fly great.  I also have some that are show quality.  As for what I would charge, they would be between $300-$400 per dozen for the quality I suggested.  Plain jain would be cheaper.  As for my time, to do the ones that I am doing now, weight, spine, all to match,  I have made 8 arrows in 5 days.  I will post some pics when I get back from Denton.  I wil have some of these with me, if anyone cares to look me up.