Author Topic: a raccoon falls victim.....  (Read 21642 times)

Offline billy

a raccoon falls victim.....
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:17:42 pm »
...to my primitive bow and stone tipped reed arrows!  I got this 18 pound raccoon using the same little 40 lb bow featured in my article Putting Bird Points to the Test.  I also used the same reed arrow that I used in the test. 

I saw the coon up in a tree eating berries, so I stalked until I was almost underneath the tree the coon was in.  The coon saw me and started coming down the tree butt-first.  My first shot missed.  Second shot hit him in the belly and exited in the middle of his back, just missing his spine.  Third shot hit the tree, and the 4th shot skimmed his tricep muscle on his right front leg.  I was gonna put a final shot into him, but he fell outta the tree and died.  I shot him with a very tiny jasper bird point, about the same size as the ones I used in the test.  The reed arrow penetrated about 22 inches, but he broke the shaft when he fell outta the tree.  That little stone point cut a surprisingly large, gaping hole considering its small size. 

I'm not really into killing raccoons, but my brother had some break into his chicken coop and slaughter all 20 of his chickens over a span of 2 nights, so I figured I'd exact a little revenge.  Even still, I skinned him and I am planning on trying to cook it up and see how it tastes.  From what I've heard, raccoon is greasy and gamey, but I pledged that anything that falls to my primitive bow will not be wasted, so I'm staying true to my word.   

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:50:50 am by Ryano »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline sailordad

Re: a raccoon falls victim.....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:22:17 pm »
nice coon,

gotta respect a man that holds true to his word 8)

you gonna tan that hide too,  i'm thinking string silencers. heck i'll even let ya make me a pair

keep up the good work on them chicken killers.

peace,
                                                   tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:24:57 pm »
Way to go Billy! you harvested a critter that most likely has harvested a chicken or two in it's life ;D. And your going to put it to good use - that hide aught to be handy for something :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:29:58 pm »
i'm telling ya     "string silencers"

like i said i need a pair lol

let me clear that up,  i need a pair of string silencers for my bow.

after all you dont look like the coon skin hat wearing kinda guy lol

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 10:53:09 pm »
Make sur you get the scent glands from under the front legs.  Nasty tastin things.  I would boil it til it is do close to done, to help rmove some of the grease, and then throw it on the grill with your favorite sauce.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:04:09 pm »
nice kill, they in season in your area? they are greasy meat but ive eaten em a bit most times though...give em to the dog, i dont think its wasteful if your using the skin and dont eat em as long as you use somethin,,,,
Modern Day Tramp

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 03:16:19 pm »
Nice.  Raccoons are tough critters....killing him with one arrow says a lot about the effectiveness of bird points.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 03:36:52 pm »
I like 'coon....but I am strange in my eating habits too.....I love pig feet.....go figure.....

Parboil him and then cook any ole way your like!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 11:55:11 pm »
nice one billy.so are you going to tell us how it tastes.later john

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 03:01:16 am »
Get all the fat off of it before cooking it. The fat tastes way bad from what I been told. Had some at one of the Glass Buttes get togethers and it was stewed up but tasted like a fine veal.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 01:37:59 pm »
Coon tastes real good if you get the fat off of it and smother it in BBQ sauce... ;).. nice harvest brother and good show of respect for your fallen prey ..A/ho Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Papa Matt

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 01:58:46 pm »
Good form, Billy. Much respect for you, for having much respect for your animal. Wish more were like that.

~~Matt

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 02:02:03 pm »
I've heard soaking in milk and sugar for 24 hours will get rid of the game taste.Those little birds points are something else !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 05:12:08 pm »
 That looks like a quiver in the making to me ;).

And everything tastes good with enough BBQ sauce :D!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 05:49:34 pm »
I'm making birdpoints for small game like that.

Wonder if the small points along cause more damage since they do not impede the oscillations of the arrow as much as a large point would. What do ya think Billy? Time for another experiment?

Also, do you think you can make it out to the Buttes comming up next year? Should be a good time again!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill