Author Topic: White Wood ENGLISH Long Bow Challenge  (Read 94004 times)

orcbow

Re: White Wood ENGLISH Long Bow Challenge
« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2008, 07:26:11 am »
Chris- I'm still working on mine, its Hickory. Though I'm not sure if it will meet the ELB criteria. I will have to review this thread for the guidelines.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2008, 10:04:18 am »
I've got my white oak under way. I've got a problem though: the white oak feels very heavy. It has some resiliency, and it seems dry enough (no string follow during tillering, the meter says 9-11%), but the wood tears a bit under the belt sander (new found toy ;)). I'm trying to lighten the tips for good cast, but I'm worried about messing up the tiller. I'm at school and our modem is down, but I'll post pictures as soon as I can to see if anyone can help me out if necessary.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2008, 07:21:16 pm »
EEEEEEKKKKKKKK!!!!!! BELT SANDER!!!!!!

Put it away Kegan. Power tools and bow building have no place in bow building except for roughing out the bow. In the final stages, especially tillering only use hand tools or you will regret it and go! "OH C#$% what have I done!"

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Kegan

« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2008, 02:21:15 pm »
EEEEEEKKKKKKKK!!!!!! BELT SANDER!!!!!!

Put it away Kegan. Power tools and bow building have no place in bow building except for roughing out the bow. In the final stages, especially tillering only use hand tools or you will regret it and go! "OH C#$% what have I done!"

David T

don't worry- I've lost more than a few bows to using a power saw. I was just using it to take out the hatchet marks all over the bow. Tillering goes to the rasp/vixen file.

Offline Badger

« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2008, 10:29:45 pm »
     I just tested out my hickory backed osage elb, so far my best to date for an elb, osage isnt legal for this contest though is it? Steve