Author Topic: Thread glue or binding agent?  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Thread glue or binding agent?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 11:35:42 am »
Duco is cheap and readily available at WalMart or hardware store. It sticks to about anything and you can use it to seal your thread or sinew wraps.     Pat

ps...and yes, you should seal cedar or spruce shafts.   Also, water based poly works well as I mentioned before and there is no heavy chem smell. Duco sticks well to it also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline silberz

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 11:38:09 am »
Will do, Thanks so much for the help.
Max

Offline silberz

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 12:14:15 pm »
Is there any reason not to use a spray on clear coat like Minwax polycrylic ? I have the supplies in route to be able to dip the shafts but thought a lite spray on would be easier and offer a nice finish.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »
I prefer dipping or hand rubbing to be sure I get good coverage. I've never tried spray but I'm sure it would work. I have sprayed a color crown  on arrows with good results.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 08:00:31 pm »
   I use a Poly spray after I finish my arrows. I even lightly spray my fletching with it. There has been a couple of times that I was the only one that the fletching wasn't laying flat in the rain.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 09:14:34 pm »
Yes, Pat B, I seal my sinew wraps with pine pitch right from the tree particularly when mounting a trade point. Also, use grease or butter for sinew too. Both offer good waterproofing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline silberz

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 03:38:37 pm »
The spray on minwax clear seems to work well, I am happy with the results. Now one more time to pick your brain/expert help. I have been using the quantam xt fletch glue and I am wondering if it will work on top of a clear laqured/minwax clear coat finish. Has anyone tried this yet with the quantam xt glue on any clear finish?
Max