Author Topic: Fat handles make you feel more handshock?  (Read 6566 times)

DCM

Re: Fat handles make you feel more handshock?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 10:47:15 am »
Ryan, you really owe it to yourself to try FF or low stretch material.  FF is cheapest at ~$25 for 9000'.  Not a whole lot more than B50 really.  I'll send you enough to make a string for it if you'd like.  The difference will be like night and day, particularly on longer bows or bows with lots of early weight.  Honestly. 

You can make it thicker if you insist, 18 strand FF diameter would be pretty close to 16 B50.  But it's not the diameter that matters, it's the low stretch.  14 strand FF and a single wrap of #4 Nylon serving fits Bohning index nocks loose, 15 strands perfect.  Heck I'll send you some serving too. 

Email your snail mail address.  Really.  You're gonna kick yourself for waiting so long when you finally come over to the dark side of low stretch strings.  Hard headed sob.

dcm4@comcast.net

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 10:47:43 am »
Vibration travels in waves, maybe the peak of the wave just happens to fall where you are gripping.  You might try tweaking the tiller of one or the other limb, might push the handle area more into a node instead of the peak.  Or have him tryr it, very possible that his draw style might affect this and it won't rattle his teeth.  I'd only cut it shorter as a last resort, and then maybe only the bottom limb which would also have th effect of moving the vibrational nodes.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 10:49:06 am »
Mims I swear you must own stock in that FF company.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

DCM

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 11:07:33 am »
I'm just going by what I know Lennie.  And to be honest, nobody I ever talked into trying FF came back and said they like B50 better.  Opposite is the case actually.  But I only try the help the ones I like, so you can stick w/ the B50 if you prefer a slow, shocky bow.  Actually, judging from what I've seen you make.....  LOL  Hope all is well.  Ain't been seeing you around too much lately.  Has the weather dried out for ya'll yet?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 11:21:33 am »
I did buy a roll of FF after all your nagging.  But then I bought five more rolls of B50 at MOJAM, so I guess I'm a slow learner.  Color coordination is tough at $25 a roll.

Practically a drought, no rain for over a week.  I've been busy making wine and beer, got a cherry Belgian going, plum wine, apple/cherry cider, just started a peach/banana wine and the wife scored me stuff for a brown ale that I'll brew this weekend.  Figure by next year I'll have to become an alcoholic or find some more friends.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 11:44:58 am »
It won't be too hard to find more friends Lennie, with that good home brew around. ;D

I am one of those that David talked into useing FF, thank you, I haven't looked back. Although the Dryad bow guys are useing something called excel or something like that ??? Talk about quieting a bow, I just haven't been able to find any yet.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

DCM

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 12:19:05 pm »
Lennie I wish you lived closer, ya cheap bastid, I'd trade you some string material for some of them liquers.  You done took up with too many wimmens in the house boy, bein' all worried about what color everything is.  Here's a hint, buy black.  Then you only need the one spool.  LOL

When I use the term FF, I mean all low stretch modern material.  FF just happens to be the cheapest, allthough probably the least efficient in terms of strenght per mass among the new stuff.  But serves me well.  Funny how (professional) bowyers figured out the new string material game, huh?  Heck, if linen weren't so expensive, and fragile relative to the new super materials, I'd be advocating it.  I wish it didn't bug the B50 fellars so much, but heck, I can't help it.  If it's better... it's better.  Not my fault.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 12:50:13 pm »
LMAO....David, thanks for the offer buddy but like I said this bow ain't for me its for a big handed feller and I'm delivering it to him this weekend So your FF strings not gonna help me at this point. I will sugest it to him if he thinks its to shockey. I promise I'll try it one of these days.....Thing is I don't like how noisy it seems on a glass bow compared to b-50 string and I shoot bare fingers no glove or tab so thin abrasive strings don't sit well with me for the most part..... :P
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Rich Saffold

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 01:08:06 pm »
I did my share of chrono testing on strings over ten years ago, and learned the difference between a flemish b-50 and a same strand endless style "ff" string to use Davids' term could be over 20 fps. :o

Plus the bow shoots worlds sweeter and quieter..It's just better...When you make bows at this level the string performance matters a lot more...

I say get a roll of black spectra from folks at BCY fibers. These guys know their stuff and they are on the East Coast..

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 01:17:57 pm »
OK, OK, jeez.....I'm going to a big shoot tomarrow with vendor's. I'll see if I can pick some up there.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....