Author Topic: hafting nail points into cane ??  (Read 3781 times)

Offline sonny

hafting nail points into cane ??
« on: August 16, 2008, 06:33:56 pm »
ok, well I'm generally pretty good at figurin' out such things but this one's got me stumped (at least temporarily)...
I have some hammered nail points that I want to haft into some river cane for use as small game points,,, BUT the hole in the cane is bigger than the nail  ::)
I thought about smashing the tip of the cane but seems to me that I couldn't get the nail to stay good'n'straight, well-hafted that is, especially considering the length of the nail which I'd like to keep since it seems a good weight.
So I need something sorta like a bushing that'll take up the space.....

Typically I plug the end of the cane and then cut a slot for my stone or steel point. I don't feel as if I could plug and drill straight enough to haft the shank of the nail....I hope that makes sense. it does to me anyhoo.   

suggestions and wise-cracks are welcome!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Cromm

Re: hafting nail points into cane ??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:51:12 pm »
Hi,
You could put wood glue in the hole first then push the nail in and if be put some more wood glue in??
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 08:00:30 pm »
As long as the pug is well glued and fitted, it doesn't matter if you drill the hole for the nail exactly dead center.

You could also wrap paper (coated with glue) around the nail until the diameter matches the void of the cane. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 09:30:39 pm »
maybe use a bigger nail. if too heavy shorten it.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 01:20:53 am »
Cut 2 slots perpendicular to each other in the end of the cane. This will remove some material and you should be able to bind them with sinew and the cane will clamp around the nail. I haven't tried it but in theory it should work.  ::)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:54:56 am »
Plug and drill, or use a big wad of JBWeld. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 01:06:20 pm »
I do it like Pat suggested .And I sinew wrap the cane just behind where the slot will be before cutting it .So it doesn't split.

Ralph