Author Topic: help with 2 fletch arrows pls  (Read 9990 times)

Offline n2everythg

Re: help with 2 fletch arrows pls
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 10:41:33 am »
Wow allen those turned out beautiful. Very nicely done. Like your points as well.
Have you tied on that nice little quartz point you knapped out at schiele? that would look excellent on those arrows.

think I need to cut mine down just a bit more. also will have to try to use some tail feathers. they look great!

when using tail feathers how do you decide which side to strip off and which direction to cant the feathers?

will post some pics later today of the ones I made up.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 11:07:16 am »
Very nice job.
One thing I would change, though, is that I would put the feathers on to where they are parallel with the bow and bowstring when nocked. I think this helps with stabilizing them quicker.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 03:05:54 pm »
Thanks Pat, yeah try the tail feathers they work great. I thought I left some feathers somewhere!  :D

Thanks Wade. I put that quartz point on but don't have it fletched yet. I'll post some pics of it and several more arrows when I finish them up. The tail feathers work the same, just use two from the same side of the tail. When I'm looking at the feather first tied on and facing backwards I strip the bottom part. Maybe I'll post some pics of how I'm doing it.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 06:11:20 pm »
well here are some completed. 10 here. somehow I missed one shaft when building them. It was laying up on a shelf... hummm wierd.

turned out pretty good I think. course they still havnt passed the final flight test. that happens soon as I am done typing this.

got 10 completed. 2 fletch. tied on with sinew. covered with pat's special pitch varnish.
9 cane and one vibernium shoot that was kicking round the shop from the last build.

they all spined in between 49 - 52.
finished weights between 586 gr and 650 gr.
4 field points and 6 stone. ready for hunting now.

dialed in and ready.

course now I have to finish off these which are all spined in for my 42 lb short bow. :)

CU
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 07:10:37 pm »
well I had one funky flyer out of the 10. down to 9 I guess but that should be nuf for now.

unfortunately the funky flyer was also my personal favorite knapped head. its the one closest to the right made out of some TX chert I think.
prob the shaft tho I think and not the point causing the issue.

Sean -
I agree with your comment. I would haft the 2 fletch parallel to Bow string. Find that the end of the quill is chewing up my strike plate and seems to bounce just a hair off the rest.

other than that Love them.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 09:03:35 pm »
Wade, try flipping the funky arrow over and see how it shoots. Sometimes that does the trick but sometime you make stumping arrows out of them...or sell them to the tourist as authentic. ;D >:D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 10:46:43 pm »
Did you check to make sure that the point is still spinning true? If they're a bit wobbly the shaft will fly screwy sometimes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.