Author Topic: Need help with hickory flatbow  (Read 3351 times)

Offline cheapshot

Need help with hickory flatbow
« on: September 13, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »
I've started working down a hickory stave. I'm trying for a 2" wide 66" flatbow, around 50# @ 26". When the stave was de-barked, a 1/4" strip of the outside ring was pulled away. It's 8" long from one end of the stave. It's dead center of the stave so will have to be part of the bow. I filled the space with Titebond III and sawdust. My question is would I be better off chasing a ring? Or since the tips won't be bending will I be alright using the glue for a filler? This is only my second attempt at building a bow so any advice would be appreciated. The rings are thin and close together.  The back of the bow is fairley flat, the stave came from a large tree I was told, and other wise is a good clean looking stave.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need help with hickory flatbow
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:37:07 pm »
What I would do is either remove the damage by going down below it and all the way down the bow or smooth the damaged area out and back the bow with cloth or paper. A gouge like you described could cause problems with your bow and would be very frustrating to you. If you are going to repair it do it so it won't be a problem later.
  Can you post pics of the gouge and where it is on the bow(stave)?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 01:59:32 pm »
Sorry, no pics. My computer guru (son) is in class right now and won't be home until late tonight. It might not help anyway as I have already filled the space with glue. The gouge only violates the outter ring on the back of the bow, about 8" long beginning at the tip. How difficult is it to chase a ring on a piece of hickory? Thanks for the response Pat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 04:13:29 pm »
   I think hickory is tough to chase the ring. Others will chine in that have done it and agree or disagree. ;D  If it is at the tip and in a non working or possibly slightly working area you should be OK. Hickory is tough that way too. ;)  After your bow is complete you might consider a wrap at the end of the gouge with sinew or thread set in glue. You can add a "faux" wrap on the other limb for symmetry.
   With the length, width and your desired draw weight and length, you should be fine with this bow. You could consider this bow as preparing you for the many more you WILL make in the future  ;D and enjoy it for what it is. With wood bows you don't know for sure anyway.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 10:18:48 pm »
  Hickory is pretty tough and forgiving. I think you might be able to get away with soaking the area with thin, warm super glue. Then lightly sand the boo-boo smooth. If you are really worried You could back it with a strip of rawhide or silk. Before I chased a ring on a hickory stave I would probally smoke some pork ribs with it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:16:07 am »
Thanks for the response guys. I'm going to go with it as is. I'll wrap the area if it holds through tillering. If it blows I'll consider it a part of the learning curve and start another one.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:44:13 am »
You'll probably be OK. Hickory is tough stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 06:27:43 am »
It will probably be OK in that area if it ant to deep.I have chased some rings and it ant
all that bad,but like has been said Hickory is tough and where it is at I bet it will
be fine.Might want to rawhide back it just to be safe. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good