Author Topic: My Daughter's Birthday bow and my first Attempt!  (Read 8258 times)

Offline Yokut

My Daughter's Birthday bow and my first Attempt!
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:43:11 am »
Let me start by saying this is my first post and first attempt at bowmaking. I'm going to have to blame it all on my best buddy N2Everythg (Wade)! We've  been fishing/camping/adventure seeking buddies for 10 yrs now. Anyhow, he started me out by sending me the first bow he ever made and it got me to thinking about my 10 yr old daughter and her pride regarding our Native American Heritage. Anyhow, I figured I'd buy her a U-finish bow for her birthday and that'd be that....well NOOOOO! Wade would have none of that nonesense....next thing I know I'm searching websites, studying tree identification and call ing N2 about everyday and asking him questions(he's in NC and me In Oregon). All this about one month before my Daughter's 11th birthday. I guess you can say I'm a bit OCD once I get latched on to a new hobby.So after chopping down the sapling I picked out I roughed the bow and let it dry for 2 weeks. Once it dried I had 2 weeks to tiller and shape. After many hours of scraping, sanding and thinking of my little girl and her expression as I presented this to her I neared the finish. And wouldn't you know it...I pulled just a little too far and I heard a groan come out of the wood. I about passed out (only 4 days left till the b-day) and I had splintered it. I called Wade and talked him thru the bow's condition, he recommended I try to salvage it by glueing and backing it w/ silk. From here it kind of morphed into a totally different finished product than I had envisioned but it was saved. So now I am painting, lettering and varnishing. I get to the last step of glueing the leather handle wrap on and I am nervous as heck I'll mess something up. I almost wanted to just hand that baby over w/out the leather grip but after some kneeling and and asking for a steady hand I finished her off. ONE hour before her birthday! The bow was made from standard maple and pulls 14# at a 15" draw and looks kick but if I do say so myself!!!
 I had a great time planning, envisioning and working on this bow and am hooked for good. I'll be working on my 8 yr son's next followed by another for my 5 yr old daughter! And then hopefully, I will be skilled enough to make my own (I've already found my vine maple.. that is if I don't use it for one of my kid's bows).
Thanks Wade! It was a blast working on it and contemplating my relationship w/ my daughter and connecting w/ my heritage.. a great experience. - Yokut

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: My Daughter's Birthday bow and my first Attempt!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 06:56:09 am »
Welcome to PA and thanks for sharing your bow making adventure :) Judging by your daughters smile I would
say she is one happy camper :) The bow came out pretty darn good for a first.

But on your next one get it bending up toward the handle more looks like you might have a bit of a hinge on each limb.
Being backed with silk and with a short draw and light weight it shouldn't be a problem.

Glad you joined us and I think you earned some major brownie points with your daughter :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:56:56 am »
hello and welcome!  -  yes i guess dana is right: nice bow certainly but little hinges on both limbs. nothing to worry about with the weight and length!
if the bow is symmetrical i would take it upside down from what i see in the picture.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:48:39 am »
Way to go sir a birthday bow is what got me in the bow hobby too.I think the guys are right about the tillering advice. But I also think your daughter is so happy with her bow that it really doesn't matter about the tiller. The first one I made is way bad and has a ton of set but it is still my sons prized possesion. after all these years.Oh and welcome to P.A.
Ronnnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 10:05:42 am »
Cool bow.... nice arrows.... but the smiles you got are priceless!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 10:09:27 am »
That's a great story and first bow Yokut! Your daughters smile says it all.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Don

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 10:45:13 am »
Very nice!
Looks like a happy happy day.
Enjoy, they grow up quick.

Don

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 12:39:45 pm »
That is a nice bow. Cute, no pretty daughter, too. Got your bow all bookmarked for Sept Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 04:34:07 pm »
  That's a nice story and your cute daughters smile says it all. Yep, you have that funny glint in your eye that says that is not the last one. Welcome to PA and you also have a lot of talented and gifted bow builders in Oregon to tap for information.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 07:19:36 pm »
It don't hurt to do a little kneeling once and a while ;) Great job Yokut!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:52:35 pm »
Way to go mark! excellent job. bow turned out great and Whitney will remember it forever! Love that smile on her face. Says it all.

Yep... ur hooked....

funny thing is he has 3 more kids bows to make.... HA... hope you get one in for yourself some time in the future...
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Yokut

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 09:08:16 pm »
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yeah looking back I'd do a couple things different. On the next bow for my son I'll reduce the handle length from 4 1/2" to 3 1/2" (should help w/ the hinging) and use a different line for the profile. I'll also lengthen the bow from 42" to 52" or so as well so he can use it as he grows. Other than that it'll just be asthetics I think. Actually, my boy is going to be involved on the next one so we'll learn and grow together. Been a blast so far and can't wait to get more involved. - Yokut

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 07:19:53 am »
Nice job,and the smiles say it all.Now you are hooked as I am sure she is. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 08:31:47 am »

Good job for a first attempt, and I'd say a complete success from the expression on your daughters face! Don't be shy about posting pic's during the making process here for feedback on future bows... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:30:34 pm »
Yep, That smile says it all !!
Thanks for sharring !

JohnK
The only way to fail is to never start !