Author Topic: need help on natural groundblinds  (Read 3626 times)

kinkfeather

need help on natural groundblinds
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:18:39 am »
do you think going out about 4 weeks before hunting season an building your natural ground blinds is a good idea.i am not much of a stalker.i go in dark so the deer dont see me.setup in my armless canvas chear an wait.fulley camo from head to toe.for the morning hunts sun at my back an wind in my face.i am in the shadows.next question canvas floor to keep quiet an keep the scent off the ground an roll it up an take it with me is that a good idea.next question never hunt the same blind 2 days in row is that a good idea.last question setting up natural blinds on the edges of open fields in the evening.kink

Offline Bentstick81

Re: need help on natural groundblinds
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:28:27 pm »
Kink. Sounds like you got the right ideas. I pretty much hunt the same way. ;) I don't bring anything to put my feet on though. I don't worry to much about scent. I play the wind every time i hunt. If it shifts, i move, and keep the wind in my face, at all times. When possible, i try to keep the sun at my back, and sit in the shadows 8). Don't forget the naps occasionally! ;D

kinkfeather

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:42:45 pm »
a person can really sleep if the weather is in your favor.their is nothing like being in the the woods on an autum day with a slight breeze blowing an temps around 65/70 degrees.cant get any better than that.i guess i shoudnt worry about scent if the wind is wright.i like the early mornings when the sun starts up an things start to more.this will be my 49th season to hunt an i enjoy it as much as the first one an maybe more.i am very thankful maybe another hunting season.kink

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:22:58 pm »
i have made blinds and got in them during season and killed deer. if you build 2 early depending on whar you use it will change in 4 weeks be dead and brown. i dont pay much mind to the wind. i have killed deer down wind of me, its good to have in your favour but if i have a place i wana hunt i hunt it. there is a stuff called pete rickards i think i spelled that right  skunk scent that is good mojo. i use it it works. good hunting good luck.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 10:55:10 pm »
Some may consider it cheating, but I have had the chance to hunt an area where the deer smell and see people at a distance all the time.  I've had them ignore my obvious scent (had to climb a lung sucking near-cliff to get there).  I think one of the worse things you can do is move.  After all, if a whitetail could control it's tail flicks and ear gyrations we'd never see 99% of 'em.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 11:40:58 pm »
JW. "Lung sucking-near cliff", ;D ;D ;D that is funny. I have had a few of them, myself. ;D  Just think of Colorado, elk hunting ::)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 11:57:04 pm »
Barry: "Where ya hunting turkeys tomorrow?"
Me:  "I dunno."
Barry:  "Season's getting short, want me to call for ya?"
Me: "Might go up the Lung Sucker to the big roost."
Barry:  "Uh, I forgot, my wife wants to go shopping and I really wanna go with her."

Funny why I seem to always hunt up there alone.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline oldgun

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:10 pm »
I've built natural blinds, making alot of noise and within half on hour have shot deer. they are moving and travel around alot of distance, it never bothers them, the noise I make, like I said make the blind and sit still they are moveing around and they will come to you!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:19:07 pm »
naps good.  ;D

being woken up by a thunder storm with a mile and a half to walk back to the camp and no rain gear, BAD!  :o
lets just shoot it

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 11:25:28 pm »
Down here in Texas the cedars grow real bushy and thick.  I bring a folding chair, folding limb saw and a pair of stout clippers and I can make a ground blind almost anywhere in just a few minutes.  The only downside is that it is so thick around you the deer show up without warning and often real close.  You do have to watch out for rattlers and copperheads though.

George
St Paul, TX