Author Topic: The worst happened!! Pics added!  (Read 6069 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: The worst happened!! Pics added!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 12:24:56 am »
Thats a bummer man that was a sweet bow  :o i mean a sweeeeeet looking bow...pass a thankyou on to your boy for the help and his service!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline okie64

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 01:12:50 am »
That stinks man, that was a very nice looking bow, the stain job looks very cool. That being said, that is a pretty big crack and if it were me I would take that backing off and put a new one on it. It might hold up with just glue and a wrap but I wouldnt trust it.

Offline johnston

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 03:18:16 am »
Yep, fine looking lad. I have more experience than  I'd like at trying to
salvage broken bows. Some have turned out to be good shooters and
some are still just broken bows. Now remember I ain't too good at this
stuff but I would personally put this bow aside to be readdressed at
a later date when you are not emotionally hot for it.

Just sayin'.

Lane

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:12 am »
Thanks for all the advise and compliments. I will try to get the new back prepped and glued on tonight. I never did a glue up with an already tapered bow, before, and I also have to figure out the best way to glue in the reflex. Not sure which way would be easier...back on top or bottom...clamps or rubber straps? Anyone got any picks of a similar situation?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:19 pm »
The way I do it is glue, wrap with strips of tire tube and then clamp to the form. You could just simply put a block at each tip and clamp in the center with the back faceing up :)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:17 pm »
Thanks Elktracker. I was trying to avoid taking off the built-up leather handle on the belly. I figured I could make a form so that I could do the glue up with the hickory back on the bottom and the tips pulled down. That way I could save the handle. I worked really hard to get it shaped just right.

I think I have decided to make another bow for my recipient. This will give me a chance to practice my repair skills. I am going to see if I can fix this one later, when I get time. I may try to glue the splinter down and wrap it. If it fails, I can always put another back on it, unless the belly goes with it this time.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 10:35:44 pm »
That was a fine looking bow.......sorry to hear of the outcome.  Tell your son Thank you for his service.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II