Author Topic: Tillering and Shooting a Double Curve Bow (Not for BOM)  (Read 25848 times)

orcbow

Re: Tillering and Shooting a Double Curve Bow (Not for BOM)
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 10:18:25 pm »
My bow  doesn't bend in the handle at all.So that takes care of some  of the potential draw length. Really, I did not know what thickness to start with. And I was going for a bow like my Lakota friend told me in a story/legend about a  Lakota hunter named "Strikes Two" (if I remember correctly). Any way the story was about how he got his name, by shooting through a buffalo cow and killing also her calf with one arrow. That must have been a pretty strong bow! Any way it was close range and on horseback.

So my bow turned out to be barely 20#. Maybe I could kill two squirrels at close range ::)

The red paint on the back is made of the dust from working red pipestone mixed with the knox gelatin glue. I sealed over it with shellac, but I think the mineral paint  alone would be pretty good in a primitive situation.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:33:40 am by orcbow »

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 12:01:24 am »
I like how there are several people posting their bows. It makes this thread interesting.
   I am interested in short bows in general, so these are on my list. :)

I have never done much sinew backing, so that is a bit of a barrier for me at the moment.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Papa Matt

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 09:32:42 am »
Jackcrafty, do you think BL is a good wood for short plains bows such as these? Even sinewed? I ask because I have come across some other opinions that do not think BL would handle the compression very well, as it likes to chrysal on the belly.

I have a short (52") BL log and have been looking for something to make one of these bows with, and sinew it. What do you think? I also have Elm, Cherry, and White Ash and Honey Locust.

~~Papa Matt

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 12:02:17 pm »
Black locust should work fine...the chrysals on the belly will not hurt performance if they are evenly distributed.  If the back is crowned or "trapped" it will help reduce the stress on the belly (which should be flat).

The way I tiller a double-curve is basically the same way I tiller a D-bow.  All parts of the bow share the bending stress except the non-bending portion of the tips.  I've got two locust bows in the works (the staves came from a hybrid, non-thorny black locust) and so far the wood has not chrysalled.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Papa Matt

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 12:15:35 pm »
Right on, thanks for the advice.

~~Matt

Offline xin

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 05:52:44 pm »
Crafty,  Very nice bow.  Really admire your string making ability. Laubin was the first book  I found on primitive archery about 15 yrs ago.  Thanks to the other fellows who added so much to this thread.  All are nice bows.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 11:06:33 pm »
Thanks Xin  ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

kurogane_84

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:58 pm »
Hello all , i LOVE the bows, im just wondering if you shaped the bow from a stave then tillered it, or got it to a point where you could just sand it and finish tiller it, or how, im needing advice, ive read a few books, but nothing much, and i cannot get how to get the bows weight through my head any advice??

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 01:56:58 am »
Wow, I haven't seen this thread in a while.   :)  Kurogane, post your question as a new thread and I'm sure you will get the answers you are looking for.  As for my bow, the one in this thread, I tillered it a little before I shaped it and then finished tillering it after I let it sit for a day or so (I think).  I need to go back and read this.... :o

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

kurogane_84

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 02:03:59 am »
Wow, I haven't seen this thread in a while.   :)  Kurogane, post your question as a new thread and I'm sure you will get the answers you are looking for.  As for my bow, the one in this thread, I tillered it a little before I shaped it and then finished tillering it after I let it sit for a day or so (I think).  I need to go back and read this.... :o

HAHAHAHA thanks Jack, yah i didnt expect anyone to comment back LOL, i was wondering, now i know i can do a rough shaping before tillering then i can finish it befor it so the tillering with the small striang

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 02:10:49 am »
Sounds good. :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 02:38:44 am »
Great looking bow. Looks very Apache. Suggestions for a faster bow. Sinew back it before tillering, and for a juniper bow that narrow use more sinew. This should also allow for a longer draw with a higher draw weight. Juniper is the wood I use the most as it is everywhere around here. In my dry climate it needs sinew for a long life. Juniper is a great compression wood. Other people posting there bows have to realize juniper will not make a bow as easily as yew or osage but when made right makes a great bow