Author Topic: close encounter with a spike  (Read 2796 times)

Offline sonny

close encounter with a spike
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:15:14 pm »
I hunted a beautiful spot this afternoon- a hardwood row between two farm fields, the field I walked to the stand through was low seeming to give the deer some sense of security I would think. Anyhow I got there plenty early as my buddy seemed to think that they'd be moving early afternoon. If they did I didn't see them.
But 45 mins before dark I look up to see a deer emerge from the tree line a couple hundred yards in front of me. My buddy told me that it would follow the tree line right to me and he was right. A couple of minutes later he was within bow range but hung up behind some limbs. For some reason he was on edge, kept looking the direction a dog was barking then looking into the woods where I was. I don't think he ever spotted me but turned and bounded toward where my buddy had taken his climbing stand. He took a shot at it but bounced the arrow off of a heavy bone (according to his version of the story  ;) . )
Anyhow I didn't get a shot but surely did enjoy time spent in the woods.
When I got out to the field I had to walk across to get back to the truck the fog had laid down in the low ground, making a picture perfect end to the day.   
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: close encounter with a spike
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:34:45 pm »
Sounds like my hunt a few weeks ago. The doe never saw me but knew something was up. At 10 yards she just turned and walked away with her ears pointing my direction.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

Re: close encounter with a spike
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 12:14:43 am »
Yep those critters sure are skittish. The stars have to line up perfect for the hunt to produce meat, but not nearly so well to produce a good hunt with vivid memories. Good luck on your next hunt.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell