Author Topic: split arrows  (Read 4717 times)

Offline possum

split arrows
« on: September 25, 2008, 12:12:32 am »
OK, I've been wondering.  I have no good bow wood on my property that would yield a bow length piece or even billets but... I have several poplar trees that could come down that are VERY straight.  I know it pretty much tinks for bows but everyone says make arrows.  GREAT!!  how?  I don't have a planer or even a plane.  I do have a bandsaw and a 12" disk sander.  I think I can figure out how to split it into small pieces with a big knife and a hammer but what would be an effective way of squaring it or even just dowelling it without too much waste?  And should I split it while dry or let it dry awhile?  Thanks,

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: split arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 01:41:28 am »
Possum, Reduce the poplar by splitting it down to 1/2"x1/2" and make them long(36" if possible). With a thumb plane($10 from ACE hardware, lowes. Home Depot, etc.), remove the four corners down the whole billet. This will make 8 corners...remove them and have 16(and getting close to round) You keep this up until the "shaft" is round and the diameter you want.
   You can also saw out billets. Try to keep the grain parallel with the shaft.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 06:58:20 am »
#10 for a thumb plane now, remember when they were only$5 :o

possum Iuse my band saw to rip 3/8"x3/8" squares and then like Pat said use the thumb plane to round it, I made a device to help align and hold the blanks,
router a V groove in a board and put a small nail in one end for a stop. works pretty good.
I also made a die to run the blanks thru with a drill, a steel plate with holes drilled in it descending in size by 1/32" each time. Then use a bigger bit to kind of taper each hole, stop at least one size bigger than what you want and sand to size.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline possum

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 08:04:39 am »
This is all after it dries?  right?
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:32:34 am »
I do like Pat said- I split the poplar rounds into 1/2" thick "boards" just like making shingles. I let them dry out, then true two sides with drawknife or belt sander and rip them into 3/8"x3/8" squares on the table saw and round them with a thumb plane (only $7.99 at our Lowe's  ;D ) and sandpaper. I have split them out, too-it works but you get more waste than sawing. A froe is a big help if you're splitting them. I've made good shafts like this from poplar, pine, and ash. The main thing is to choose wood with really straight grain and don't violate it. Sometimes a chunk of tree is straight on the outside, but the grain wanders and twists inside, especially close to the center of the log.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 12:08:09 pm »
right
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:25:01 pm »
I spent $30 for a Lee Valley dowel cutter and socket and it turns those things out like a factory.

Zander

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 12:53:58 am »
where do you find the dowel cutter and socket???   and how can you use the thumb plain??? can anybody post pics of the tools and process so i can know what im looking for???

i work construction and have an umlimitted amount of wood that gets thrown away everyday... from pallet wood to 2x4 and 2x6's an even 1x4 and 1x6's and even 4x4 and so on.. i always look at that wood and think i know i could use that for something and i do pick up stuff for small projects every now and then but i'm sure if i had the tools i could probably turn out some shafts from that stuff right???

could anybody post pics of the tools used so i can know what to look for??? and maybe where to get them and maybe explain how to do it???

i saw a jig on 3 rivers archery catalog but it was high dollar i think bout 100 bucks or soo..  i was thinking there has to be a cheaper way and i read an artical on making wood shafts on this mo. traditional bow hunter but it didnt explain where to buy the dowel cutter...
some help please??

jape

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 02:52:03 am »
I would like to have a go at this sometime once I get these bamboo one finished, so thanks for all the tips. I will try the hand planing method but can someone (ZanderPommo?) aim me at a Lea Valley dowel cutter for $30 please, catalogue price is $189 + sockets and more here in Aus.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:04:45 am »
Get The Traditional bowyer's Bible vol. 1 and read Jay Massey's chapter on arrow making-a lot of good info in there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.