Author Topic: gut  (Read 5100 times)

Offline chessieboy

gut
« on: October 01, 2008, 03:12:27 pm »
I saw on youtube where a guy use gut instead of sinue. It was dry but he didn't get into it any further. Any of you guys tried gut or know how to prepare it?  I bought some sausage casings at the store I figured I'd give it a shot. I hope to have deer gut on this Sat and wanted to know how to prepare it.  Any help would be great.
Bill

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: gut
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:18:34 pm »
The Hog Gut....is it dried and Salted or vacuum sealed  and moist???  You meed to soak it in warm water till it is all Opaque (damned near see through) then get an end...and start to stretch it and wrap whatever it is you are wrapping....I have never done Arrows....just Point and Blades.you just wrap it around and when you are done tuck it under like you would do serving on a String....and either just let it dry...or do like I do....and put a little Hide Glue on it while it is still moist and let it all set up together....I really like the Gut....and it is so much easier than Sinew for Point ....Blades and Bow Strings too....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:37:06 pm »
Ok now you got me wandering. ??? I know it is hurting me to.. How do you think gut would work for other things? Like wraping a splinter on a limb.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:43:19 pm »
Ok now you got me wandering. ??? I know it is hurting me to.. How do you think gut would work for other things? Like wraping a splinter on a limb.

It shrinks as tight as Rawhide does.....I wouldn't hesitate to use it....but if I had Sinew....I would use it first....for the Main reason...it will look better with Sinew because Sinew is thinner and lays better
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:48:54 pm »
I was thinking about the fact you can get it anywhere and it is really long. maby a gut backing instead of a rawhide?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:14:42 pm »
                                                        Well that is definitely outside the Box!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 05:26:51 pm »
I was thinking about the fact you can get it anywhere and it is really long. maby a gut backing instead of a rawhide?

As I started reading this thread, I just thought of the same thing.  This is kind burried, so I'll ask about in in a new thread.
Steve in LV, NV