Author Topic: Something long and narrow, in hickory...  (Read 5924 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: Something long and narrow, in hickory...
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 07:32:21 pm »
well if that top limb is a little stiff, i personaly dont see it, just flip it over and make it the bottom limb and ya got a little
positive tiller on her then.

i still say it looks good, and like the handle.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline dismount

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 08:35:17 pm »
Beautiful bow!! and I love elliptical tiller. Got a Hick stave in the garage. Think I'll try one of those. Wish  I could find a lumber yard that carried hickory boards!
                                     Dismount

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 10:58:13 pm »
Here are a couple of pics of the nocks.   I sanded the bow today and stained it, then began oiling with Tung Oil.   The back part of this nock is rosewood. 

Piper

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 11:03:37 pm »
haha- you can never go wrond with hickory and a red wood, it always seems to look nice. I havent used rosewood, but ive used excessive amounts of padouk and canarywood. anaways- nice bow, especially for a third bow, it looks like a smooth shooer just from the pics! nice bow, keep em coming! haha -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 01:10:54 am »
Hard to believe that bow is only your third. I expect we'll be seeing more great work coming out of your shop.
Gordon

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 08:40:49 am »
Really, I never owned a bow till I started making bows.  You all are a great help, without all the info and insight I wouldn't know what is right or wrong when it comes to bows.   My one arrow broke the day I got it so I still can't shoot the dang things.   I suspect they work just like bows should work.   

But, here's the deal.   I work with wood all day every day.   I saw and carve and bend and scrape full time, just not on bows.   I am a full time, working violinmaker, so I have all the tools and benches and lighting and dustpans I need to do this work.   It is a relief to build something out of one piece of wood.   Violins are comprised of up to 72 individual pieces, fitted and matched and scraped and tuned, etc.    So, bowmaking is a kick!

I have pics of the finished bow and handle close ups etc.   I'll get them up later.   

thanks, Piper

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 09:41:03 am »
Piper: you should post some pic's of your other works in the anything else section - I wouldn't mind seeing some of those violins.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 10:34:58 am »
Do it, 'piper, post some shots of your luthier work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 10:34:39 pm »
Since SOMEBODY  in this forum said they like LOTS OF PICTURES, here are a few more:

This is a Morocco tanned goatskin grip, it was all I had handy.   Usually fit this stuff in much smaller pieces on violin bows.   

Man, it is hard to take GOOD bow pictures. 

Piper