Author Topic: first self bow/first bull (new pics page 2)  (Read 11372 times)

Offline huntinoly

Re: first self bow/first bull
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 12:28:45 am »
Keenan, It was killing me to pass on a hunt with Gordan. We went last year and it was a great time. My wife said if I went she would have a yard sale and sell all my hunting and fishing stuff, then change the lock on the front door. After a week of thinking about it I decided I would miss my fly rods too much.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 03:52:37 am »
Wise choice, ;) ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 06:31:51 am »
Congrats on a nice Bull,well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 08:20:42 am »
Congratulations on your first primitive harvest! What a way to start... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 12:15:24 pm »
Even though yopu missed another hunt with Gordon, you should thank your wife for putting you on to this bull. ;) That ought to get you a few goody points! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »
Great job on the bull.  Nice bow as well, although I had to get my magnifying glass out to really see it...lol. Thanks for sharing the story. It inspires us all when we hear stuff like that. I don't know of a man here that has'nt hunted elk that does'nt long to some day, myself included.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Little John

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 10:35:10 pm »
Amasing story Greg. Congratulations on your first primitive harves, sounds like your stars were well aligned. Thanks for the story and can you get Pics. I know if Gordon helped you with the bow it must be awsome but cant see it in the little pic.     kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 10:45:07 pm »
 Wow ! Great story. I hope to get a chance to hunt with a selfbow I have built myself this fall.I got one going so maybe,if not,then for sure next year.(Maybe even get to make some meat as you did).   Congrats.    Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Gordon

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 01:59:04 am »
Greg, while I was bummed you could not join me for the Eagle Cap hunt this year, I am delighted and proud that you were able to take such a fine animal with a bow that you made from your own hands. It was clear when I hunted with you last year that you are a gifted archer and hunter – I’m not surprised that you pulled this off. I hope you do not mind, but I scanned the pictures you sent me and posted them here so folks can gain a better appreciation for your accomplishment. Way to go buddy!

Gordon

Gordon

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 11:13:03 am »
great bull and a fine looking bow brother... congratuations.... HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: first self bow/first bull (new pics page 2)
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 07:27:56 pm »
  Greg, Congratulations on a fine first Elk and a great looking bow. If Gordon was your mentor it had to be a great bow. That camo you are wearing is different, what brand is it?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 09:54:59 pm »
Mullet, the camo is preditor spring green. Gordon is a great mentor I have learned alot about bow making from him.  Greg

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 11:23:17 pm »
greg, beautiful bow, but that story is really something, man. i heard elk tastes a little sweet, and very rich, always wanted to try it! Iwas walking back from my stand thursday, mad because I didnt see any deer, but happy because I had a longbow in my hands, i used a compound all of last year. anaways, I was walking in tall grass and snapped a dead twig, so i waited, thought i heard something-long story short, it was crazy hot that day, and the deer wern't moving. a basket rack MAYBEEE 15 feet away popped up from his bed in the tall gras and bolted into the woods 1o yards away, nearly crapped my pants though :D thats an awesome hunt though, hopefully you and that selfbow can get some more good huntin time. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Adam Keiper

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 10:23:03 am »
Fantastic!  Congratulations on your bull.  Love the bow you shot it with, too.   ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 02:59:05 pm »
Congrat's huntinonly! Nice bow and bull, awesome story :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.