Author Topic: Backed Eastern red cedar bow - any suggestions for a suitable style?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Hi All,

I havent posted much recently, due to pressures of work, but I am lurking here from time to time...  ;D

Recently I bought a "kit" of an ERC plank and hickory backing, which should apparently be sufficient to make a lowish poundage bow.  The ERC is appropx 6 feet by 2" by 3/4 ", and although fairly clear of knots, it would not make a self bow by any reach of the imagination.  The hickory is approx 3/16" thick by the same overall size.

I have no experience of ERC, and this is one of the reasons I bought the 'kit'.  I think it will look great when finished up, but I am having trouble deciding upon a suitable bow type/profile which would suit the materials well.  My first idea at the moment is to make a non-typical pyramid bow, with a fine thickness taper along the length of the limbs, as well as the more usual triangular width taper of the limbs.  I am thinking that this, along with a light application of Perry reflex, maybe an inch or two at most, will bring the draw weight up to around 40-50lb at 28" when backed with the hickory.

So, what do you guys think?  Does any of you have some experience you could share regarding this wood, and maybe some suitable dimensions and/or bow profile to try?  I'd really like to make a good job of this wood, and not waste it, especially as it is quite hard to get hold of over here in the UK.

Thanks all in advance!

Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

orcbow

Re: Backed Eastern red cedar bow - any suggestions for a suitable style?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:19:40 pm »
I made a bow similar to the one you propose. Mine was ERC backed with deer rawhide, 2" wide for most of the length, tapers last 10". I think it's  worth a try. My bow  made 50+# at 28".  Eastern Red Cedar is a beautiful wood, smells nice, and lovely to work with.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 05:56:26 pm »
Bob, If you don't mind a longer bow keep it full length and begin the limb taper about 8" or 10 " above and below the handle. 2" or 3" of perry reflex is a good idea and you will probably yield a flat bow. Pre-tiller the belly wood so you get an even bend through the limb so when you glue up the set and put it into perry reflex, you have a nice even bend when it comes off of the caul. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:12:56 pm »
 Backing ERC with hickory you can pretty much make whatever style bow you want. I've seen quite a few Cedar bows, unbacked in the English Longbow style in the #90 range.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?