Author Topic: string slip off break  (Read 3302 times)

Offline snedeker

string slip off break
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:35:26 am »
Hadn't pulled the mesquite trilam I made last year out from the corner in months.  Mesquite had turned a really beautiful dark color.  Braced it, didn't have the string secture in the tip overlay groove, and midway through draw it slip down the limb.  Fractured the belly right through in one place.   First time that ever happened to me.   Durn.

Dave

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: string slip off break
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 09:38:22 am »
That's too bad Dave. I'm wondering about mesquite - am covered up with it, how is it for bow wood? did you use it on the belly or core or back, good in compression or tension? thanks.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:15:43 am »
Mesquite is compression-strong, tension-weak.  It was on the belly on this one, with BL in the core,, and hickory backing.  It was very impressive.  This slat did have some swirly grain in places and thats where it broke.  Of course, thats a pretty stresful event for any wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 11:05:31 am »
Dave, Sorry to here you broke that bow. I have had the string slip a few times but luckily no breakage. I check the string in both grooves now almost every time I string a bow.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline possum

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:27:14 am »
If the the string came off (slipped) the the limb flew forward without any resistance and when it passed straight then, I'm guessing it became tension and you said it was weak in tension.  I'd have to agree with you on the qualities.  Of course, I've never worked with it and I'm just hypothesizing about what happened and it makes sense in my mind.  That really stinks though.  Sorry about that.  I hate losing something that is beautiful and I took time to create... like this...http://www.geocities.com/sp06di/GunPage2.html

She thinks I should sell it but I can't bring myself to do it. :'(

So what's the next one to take it's place in the corner? ;D

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 11:33:54 am »
Thanks Dave! Think I'm going to locate some clean billets and back them with either hic or boo - see how that goes before attempting another tri-lam.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:44:57 am »
possum, I agree with your interpretation of the break.  It was in the corner in my office and I make the mistake of stringing it with little care on a dark dreary afternoon.  I can't see the string in the tips very well anyway.   Nice gun.

Pat,  From now on I'll FEEL the nock area to make sure.

Its ironic that I am working on another mesquite right now - bi-lam, backed with hickory.  This wood seems a little cursed for me. The current one was going nicely and I put a 50# hinge in it.  No fault of the wood in either case.

I was thinking of crazy gluing the fracture and selling it as a wall hanging. It still takes bracing.

Dave

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 02:39:33 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Do you think the tips were too narrow? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snedeker

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 02:50:13 pm »
Upon inspection George, The groove through the overlay was a little shallow.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:22:19 pm »
wow, bad news. 

hey, can anyone explain just what a "stringer" is?   I have read that guys use them.....can't envision how they work.  thanks, Piper