Author Topic: need a band saw for bow making and saw this one need some advise???  (Read 15123 times)

Shooter_G22

Re: need a band saw for bow making and saw this one need some advise???
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 12:28:13 am »
i'm in Dallas Tx,  and i know that if i had the money i'd probably go out and by the monster "grizzly"  becuase i do like to buy the best in tools...   or @ least the best for the money...   for example when people use vise grips on something so simple like batery post it just gets under my skin... and i'm like use the 1/2" wrnch damn it you know its gonna strip!!!!

but on the other hand,  i have a set of pitsburg wrenches with a life time warrenty from harbor frieght instead of a set of snap-ons that would cost me my left *&% and id have to buy it from a truck and wait to find a truck parked some where to get them...

but i do believe in the right "tools"  how ever i do like to feel i got my moneys worth and believe me at times i dont care for Name Brand vs same Quality for a lot less... 

and i would give up a little if it gonna cost me three times less.... i mean if im gonna spend $450 for something i could by for $140 or maybe less if i talk them down a little bit...   is the other gonna really be 3 times better... "really"   i mean for the extra $300.00 i could get a lot of stuff i still need like a spine tester... dowle cutter... compression block...  heat gun.. stuff to make crest jig.. and hot box.. and dip tubes,  how to dvd's and still probably a whole lot more little nic nacs.. and still be under the price of that "grizzly"  and hell if i'm gonna start using the band saw i dont even know what to do or how to use it.. then.. i would like "cowboy said"... it might just do the job to get me started... 
and i'm still useing the "right" Tool for the job right???
just not buying the rolls royce... at least not yet...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 07:49:51 am »
Shooter, just trying to save you some grief thats all brother. You asked for our opinions and I gave you mine. I first had a regular 14" sears craftsman saw and it wasn't big and sturdy enough for what I wanted to do with it. So after literally breaking the first one in half the second time I used it.(They replaced it under warranty lucky for me) I ended up selling it to my brother who makes mostly laminated bows from bamboo and lumber and it works fine for him. I went back and got the bigger better model and I don't regret it a bit. Yes it was a bit on the pricey side but in my opinion well worth what I paid for it. It has roller bearing guides versus steel blocks, its more along the lines of a industrial base and table and it cuts so much smoother and easier its unbelievable. But then again I buy snap on tools also, because they don't break, and if I abuse them so badly they do break, the snap on guy comes to me every week to see if I need anything replaced. You can't really compare harbor freight tools to snap on, its not even in the same league. Will harbor freight tools work for your average home owner, yes. Will you end up going back to the store all the time to get stuff replaced? yes. By the way If your buying a heat gun, the ten dollar ones they sell there, I burned up about 5 of them in a year and then I went and bought a good one and its lasted me 3 years and still going strong. Just as a example. Obviously the final call is yours if you want to buy that saw for now to get you started, you could probally get your money back out of it later when you decide to upgrade. Good luck in what ever you decide. Ryano
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:09:26 pm by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 08:58:59 am »
I guess I have to agree with ryano on this one, I saved my money and bought a shopfox 14" bandsaw
and I don't regret it for one second, it takes up to 3/4" blades and came with roller guides, fence, and miter.

Shooter a lot of the stuff you mentioned can be made for little or no cost, why pay $100 for a spine tester when you can make one for about $10,
same with a dowel cutter hack saw works fine ya don't need a high speed shaft cutter for wood, aluminum and carbon yes but not wood. Cresting jig
can be made from a rotissere motor or sewing machine, dip tubes can be made from golf club tubes so on and so on. But with all that said any band saw
is better than know bandsaw, if its what you can afford buy it and later you can upgrade to bigger and better then ya will have two :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 09:37:46 am »
shooter where you at?

thats cheaper than the one ive been looking at that is exactly like that one.
does anybody know what this model goes for new,i cant seem to find it on sears website.
the one im looking at the guy wants $250.00 for it,seems a little high now that i see this one.

tim

Craftsman 12 in. Band Saw .....Sears item# 00922400000 Mfr. model# 22400 ....Retails for $349.99
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 09:51:20 am »
shooter where you at?

thats cheaper than the one ive been looking at that is exactly like that one.
does anybody know what this model goes for new,i cant seem to find it on sears website.
the one im looking at the guy wants $250.00 for it,seems a little high now that i see this one.

tim

Craftsman 12 in. Band Saw .....Sears item# 00922400000 Mfr. model# 22400 ....Retails for $349.99

thanks mike i appreciate it.i looked a half a dozen differant times on sears web site and couldnt find it. thanks again

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 10:16:24 am »
No Problem Tim........this Saw is a Good Saw....and one thing about it....there is no Shortage of fine Blades for an 80 inch Saw....I bought the 14 Inch Professional....and it has a 99 3/4" Blade....really hard to find high quality blades in that size....

Shooter....go to the Pawn Shop.....and tell Him that you will give Him $120 for it.....Take It or Leave It............I bet He bites.....it would be worth that used....since it is $350 new
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline shamus

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 11:42:55 am »
it's got enough Horsepower, but the opening is too small.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 11:48:17 am »
12" throat............7" re-saw......sound alright to me....but then I ain't cranking out 3-5 bows a week either....might buy a Heavy Duty Professional Saw if I was....but this should do just Fine......if it's good enough for Pappy........it would do just fine by Me........
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 12:48:57 pm »
the one i'm looking is exactly like the one shooter posted,the guy said it doesnt even have 5 hrs on it,hes got like 4 differant size blades,new set of blade guides.hes asking $250,im gonna offer less even if everything checks out.

ryano: i too am a mechanic,have about 50k in snap on tools  and also believe in buying the right tool for the job and buying quality to last,however i wont be making my living with a bandsaw any time soon so i think it'll work just fine,if shooter isnt planing on making his living wit it, i think it will fit his needs too.

peace,
                                                                                        tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 01:13:54 pm »
Tim it has nothing to do with how much he's going to use it. It wasn't made to saw big split out hunks of stave. I'm telling you my cheaper one the frame literally broke in half ! Good thing it was still under warenty.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Jesse

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2008, 06:46:24 pm »
1 1/2 horse 14" Grizzly. You wont regret it ;) not a bad price either.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

mhunziger

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 09:21:48 pm »
Hey, whats the HP/ on the motor. I'm new to the bowmaking, but I've had lots of carpentry exp. I've always had trouble with anything under 1hp. That might just be me though.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 09:32:33 pm »
Personally, I stay away from any saw with more than TWO wheels.   Too many bearings to wear and line up, etc can be trouble .   piper