Author Topic: Hammering Yote  (Read 6462 times)

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: Hammering Yote
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 08:38:34 am »
yeah I figured the hide, teeth, and claws, and trust me, I see them all the time, and if they get in range I'll drill em so they don't eat my dogs, but isn't there a pretty good chance that they got rabiese in which case it would be dangerous to touch em'?

Zander

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 11:11:34 am »
Eating the meat will not transmit rabies to you......unless you eat the brain or other nervous tissue.

Here is a quote from the Center of Disease Control:

Rabies virus is found primarily in saliva and in the tissues of the central nervous system, especially the brain. It's usually spread through the bite of an infected animal.

It can also be transmitted if the animal's saliva or nervous tissue gets into your eyes, nose, mouth, or an open wound or scratch. Airborne transmission is possible but rare—it's more of a concern for laboratory workers who handle animals, or in moist caves with little ventilation.

You cannot catch rabies from contact with blood, feces, urine, or scent glands. The rabies virus hitches a ride up the nerves, traveling directly from the bite wound to the brain. Later on, it may travel from the nerves to other organs, but it never enters the blood. That said, if the animal's head has been damaged, there could be spinal tissue or fluid mixed in with splattered blood. Animals may catch rabies by eating infected animals. Rabies might be passed from mother to offspring in the womb. However, when people encounter very young animals that are rabid, it's more likely that they were infected after they were born, either from contact with their mother or another rabid animal.

Although deadly, the rabies virus is actually fragile. It can be destroyed by exposure to sunlight (UV light).

http://www.cdc.gov/RABIES/exposure/types.html
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 08:48:01 pm »
wow, thats interesting, so I don't suppose handling the freshly pulled saliva covered teeth with knapping cuts on your hands would be the best idea lol :D

Zander

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 09:23:13 pm »
I kill them for the hide all the time.  Some critters are meant for eating and some are only good for hides.  As far as I'm concerned coyotes are just hides. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 10:38:51 pm »
yeah, I imagine if I ate it I would probably be uncomfortabe and thinking about dog (meat is probably super tuff and stringy too) but I completely respect people who eat everything they kill, but  I don't think I could stomach a cyote

Zander 

PS: a cyote quiver would be wicked >:D

Offline Little John

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 10:49:51 pm »
I shot a red fox last year and thought I centered him at about ten yards.  Blood trail started out as a big glob then easy tracking then harder tracking then totally lost the trail after a couple hundred yards. Complete pass thru, searched half day and even went and got my dogs, thought they might show some intrest in a clump of weeds or something and tip me off. Found a new place to hunt coyotes with a thick population, good off season hunting opportunity.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 09:48:13 pm »
 definetly right about the hides, I think the opposum is another in that book, they're just big rats, fat and slow. My dog chewed one up to hell last year, and my cousin killed one with a broomstick, both were big, fat and ugly ;D actually, i've heard coyote fur is real good insulation, like a labador coat, two layers for winter and such. the only ones i've seen deer hunting were far away, i've heard theyre pretty smart too, as far as senses.
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.