Author Topic: Sinew question  (Read 3257 times)

Offline stevecpa66

Sinew question
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:13:52 pm »
I'm just getting into traditional archery and making some arrows and I have a question regarding sinew.

I called a guy that processes a lot of deer nearby and he said that he saves sinew for another gentleman, but that he freezes it for him and gets him quite a bit at one time that way by saving it up.

I'm completely new to this so I don't know if the sinew would still be usable if its frozen and it didn't sound like he did a lot of prep to it, so most likely it would still need some scraping to clean off some meat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Sinew question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:44:32 am »
Just thaw it, flesh it and dry it and you will never know it was frozen.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:45:49 am »
What Justin said. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:59:22 am »
Steve where ya at? Hope yer not horning in on my sinew because you just described what I do :)
I have a processor save it in about 5 lb lots and freeze it, then I thaw a bag out a time to work on.
Probably takes me 2-3 hours to properly clean 5 lbs, I have a line strung up in the basement and once its scraped I just
hang it up to dry like laundry.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stevecpa66

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:56:01 am »
Thanks guys for the responses. Sounds like its a go then.

Dana, I'm down in Nebraska so probably not going to be cutting into your action. :) In fact, the processor said even though he provides some to another gentleman that he could get me all I would ever need.

Thanks again guys.

Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:59:22 am »
Get all you can. Sinew is always good to have around for trading.  You can get about anything you want with good sinew.  ;) Im headed to the butcher this morning to pick up a bunch.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah