Author Topic: Shammy backing?  (Read 2012 times)

whitewoodshunter

Shammy backing?
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:06:24 pm »
I work in a body shop and we use the leather shammy's to dry vehickles after we wash them. This is my question would a leather shammy work to back a bow? And would it be better to apply when dry or wet .They do shrink when they get wet and then dry out when stretched.

Offline adb

Re: Shammy backing?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:10:47 pm »
I don't know... never heard of it being done. It is leather. Of course, rawhide would be better, cuz it dries hard. The idea behind a functional backing is to prevent lifting a splinter.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:29:48 pm »
I don't see where there would be any gain using a Chamois......the split Leather is too soft and would do nothing for adding protection like Rawhide would...I guess it would work for keeping a Splinter from coming up....But I would not waste my time with one....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:58:36 pm »

Not likely, Use thin rawhide or linen. Full length on each limb. Thicker leather can be used but tends to make a sluggish bow.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:04:24 pm »
 Like Keenan said, It would add too much weight to the limbs.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?