Author Topic: This wood seems souspicious....  (Read 8398 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: This wood seems souspicious....
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 07:04:50 pm »
Is that a board? It doesn't seem suitable for a bow so I would consider a backing of silk, burlap, linen. Even with that it looks questionable. There's board info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

orcbow

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 07:58:04 pm »
That wood is probably walnut, it looks semi-diffuse porous in the close-up, and it has the right color. HIckory is ring-porous. Not many North American woods are semi-diffuse porous, and that dark. The color of air-dried walnut can vary, and one of the pictures shows the classic "stripe" pattern of walnut, bands of slightly different colors, almost like zebra stripes. By the way Hickory is in the Walnut Family of tree species.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 08:16:53 pm by orcbow »

Offline redwasp

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 08:34:38 pm »
i have an ipe board that looks like that...
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 09:26:41 pm »
hmm... thats real dark, it might be a medetterain hickory, theres no way thats pignut hickory- i think george hit it on the head with the backing, its a natural bow so i'd go with a store bought burlap (my personal favorite) or if you have sinew or drill a decent sized game, perhaps use that ;D oh, one tough lesson i learned, kinda common sense though: if you have a little thought on recurving the bow, dont back it until after you recurve those tips- i f'ed up my first osage a week or two that way. good luck brother, so far that thing looks like a trophy to me, alot of charecter. as far as the tiller... dont ask me, thats a spot i need to work on ;D -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 10:49:39 pm »
Yep, it looks like Hickory heartwood to me.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Boro

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 07:41:58 am »
It is quite difficult to get good wood here. Hickory is not domestic here (Croatia, that's southeast Europe + Mediteran on the coast) so You can imagine what comes here as for imported wood.

George,
Should I back it becaouse it is kiln dried or becaouse the grain goes everywhere? I faithfully followed one ring for the back of the bow. Hence the twist.

Ballista,
I am not even a half way to tiller it and allready it took about 1 1/2 of set. So I think I will have to recurve the tips slightly. Thanks for the heads up. BTW no hunting with a bow here. Only 3d and stumping.

BTW
I am missing some english words, what exatly is burlap (linen and silk I know ;D)

Boris
Zagreb, Croatia

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 09:38:52 am »
Boris, burlap is a coarse fabric usually woven from jute. It is commonly used here for storage bags for grain, potatoes, and such. (tow sacks).
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 09:58:58 am »
Definitely back it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 11:20:31 pm »
 i'd recurve the tips, its not too hard, boost the beauty of the bow, keeps the set down, and im sure it boosts the sped up a bit also. oh george, do you use stretch wrap on backings or another method? keep us posted boro, and good luck man- if it makes you feel anty better, i have my first osage bow, 3 cracks and recurved tips, the one i screwed up, missed a shot at a small squirrel :-\ good luck though man. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Boro

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 06:18:40 am »
Thanks all, will get back with it. For the moment I am waiting for string materials that I ordered. Have only fast flight string, don't want to mess up the bow.
Boris
Zagreb, Croatia

Offline Boro

Re: This wood seems souspicious..../I'm back
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 04:42:29 am »
Hello all, I'm back.
I played with it awhile and here is what came out:

Unbraced:

Braced:

Full draw:

And the stats are:
68 ntn
45 @ 28
after about 100 full draws and 60-70 arrows tiller (as it is  :P)  is unchanged and set is at 2 inches.
I would really apricieate Your reflection on the tiller before I silk back it, finish it, and seal it. The left/lower limb seems a bit stiff but I don't have a clear view what to do becaouse of the shape of the limb. While drawing the twist is straightening so I guess it is ok.
To resume, as it is my first working bow (so far) I am satisfied.
Thanks for looking
Boris
P.S.
Maybe I can change my signature now  :D
Zagreb, Croatia

orcbow

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 09:03:33 am »
Boro- Great job with your bow!

I think the left/lower limb looks stiff in the picture where the bow is on the tillering stick. When you are holding the bow, the tiller looks better because of where you place your hand to hold it. But is that what you want? It looks like the upper limb is shorter than the lower limb when you are bracing the bow. 

a finnish native

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 09:25:01 am »
nice! the left limb (lower) is a bit still from midlimb and out, so I would scrape some off there that the limbs would be balanced, but if it works good and you see no problems I would leave it as it is.

Offline Boro

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 09:26:15 am »
Thanks ;D. I think it appears so becaouse I tilted the bow while holding it. And the shadows on the wall have their part in this optical phenomena. Anyway it was intended to be simetrical. The center is in the middle of the handle and arrow rest is 2 inches above. I know that with this design I must have lower limb a bit stiffer but it is confuzing me becaouse of its shape.
Boro
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:33:33 am by Boro »
Zagreb, Croatia

orcbow

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 10:08:09 am »
 You are very close anyway you look at it!! Like the finnish native said, a little more scraping and you will have it!  You may lose a couple of pounds of draw weight, but still an excellent work  ;D