Author Topic: Making the lightest arrow  (Read 14663 times)

Offline david w.

Making the lightest arrow
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »
I dont really care about speed but i would like to get the flatest trajectory possible from one of my 40lb longbows for target shooting.  What would be a good wood to use?  Also wouldthat reed that starts with a PH (i dont know how to spell it)  I heard it was really light.

Could i use 3" fletchings instead of 5-5 1/2" fletching?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Making the lightest arrow
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 06:09:36 pm »
Your talking about Phragmites....they look like Boo or Cane....but are really punky and full of some honeycombed looking stuff....but the Indians used them ....and they are light.....cant hurt to try....but I don't know what they would spine out at...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 06:53:17 pm »
add more weight to the bow, ooggaa boogga.....no really though, what about good ole' port oxford cedar with a light coat of sealant and a 90 gr point? that stuff is super light and is a great contender for being the most consistent arrow wood around imo.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:42:20 pm »
or sitka spruce

Zander

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:45:34 pm »
You could saw up pine board squares (provided the grain's straight) and plane them round. Works pretty well for target arrows. Especially tapered :)!

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:34:01 pm »
That was what i was thinking.  white pine would make a light arrow
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 11:10:46 pm »

As for your fletching, you can use shorter fletching on your target arrows.  Look at some of the english target arrows.  They use short sheild type.
                                                                                      Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 08:59:32 am »
White pine makes good light arrows. I've made a couple sets over the years, and they're good, flat shooting target arrows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 02:23:59 am »
Hi,  My 3D arrows are currently POC, 90 gr points, one coat of water based varnish, 350 gr finished weight.  I'm getting ~170 fps out of a 42 lb bow.  It sure makes for a flatter trajectory than a heavy haunting arrow, but the foam deer don't seem to mind.  The main problem is that POC breaks easily.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 09:49:11 am »
uhhggg

sitka spruce is super strong, barely lighter  than poc, and not too bad for straightening

Zander

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 11:19:42 am »
David, if you are going to shoot primarily targets and 3-D then lighter arrows will give you flatter trajectory.   I shoot the same arrows whether I'm shooting 3-D or hunting so my knowledge of the arrow's trajectory is implanted in my mind. It doesn't matter how flat your arrows fly as long as you can put them where you want them. I believe you complicate your shooting by shooting different arrows for target and different arrows for hunting.    Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 11:58:40 am »
I am 100% behind what Pat just said.....I believe that you just make it that much harder on yourself by using different weight Arrows for different Tasks.....I shoot different Arrow for Hunting than I do for 3-D and 5-Spot Target Shoots.....but they are of the same Material (Sitka Spruce)....same Fletchings(5" Turkey Wing)....and as close to the Same weight as my Hunting Arrows (145 gr Points and Broadheads)....this way you get yourself programmed to the Arrows flight...and you have no problem judging distance and drop.....it will make it a lot easier on you David...if you can find a good weight for both....and stick with it......now thats just an Old Mans Opinion....so Take it or Leave it!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 12:26:19 pm »
...two old men! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 01:26:28 pm »
                                                                             :D :D :D ;)               
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 05:15:44 pm »
Willow shoots make good light wight arrows, HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston