Author Topic: Making the lightest arrow  (Read 14658 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Making the lightest arrow
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 01:13:08 pm »
Personally, I like phragmites, but it is hard to keep straight (like jamie said).  Phrag is the lightest material that I've ever worked with.  With a short forshaft and small arrowhead, it makes the lightest arrow IMO.

That said, I think I would choose Douglas fur as the overall best lightweight arrow material.  POC is very good, but I guess I'm one of the few people who doesn't like the smell of the wood.  I've tried spruce, but it is a bit weak on impact...lots of broken arrows.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:22 pm »
Thanks xin. We all need levity. A little drift off topic isn't a problem either. When it seems like misunderstandings are about to happen we, the mods, try to break it up before it goes too far. If I misread your intentions I apologize.      Pat'ster ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline xin

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 05:15:10 pm »
Pat'ster, no problem. Looking forward to some of your bows and arrows.  I believe I recall you saying you didn't knap; with the beautiful arrows you make it would be a natural progression if you did.  Again, keep those pictures coming.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 10:18:36 pm »
 I've gotten a couple of arrows made by Art that were Poplar. Those were really light and splined at 55#.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 11:51:18 pm »
I was in this exact predicament a little while ago. What I found was that when I focused on the performance of my bows (getting the speed and flat trajectory from there), the arrows were no longer a problem. Most of the arrows I made were from 5/16" dowels, and were slightly too heavy for my slower shooting shortbows. With a slightly stronger bow, and revised building techniques and bow design (and more practice), I can shoot my 5/16" arrows with plenty of spped and acuracy. Let me stress this, small bow tips. A ton of perfomance can be picked up when bow tips are made very small. Most of my bow's tips are only slightly over 1/4" wide for 50lb (with Osage).
So, I would say, focus on bow performance.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 10:55:56 pm »
If you are using wood, a breasted arrow spined to the bow would be lightest. A 'breasted' arrow is tapered fore and aft from points between the midpoint and near the fletchong.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 10:49:28 am »
If you send me a PM I got some 250 300 grain tonkin shafts that would do the trick for you..